Question?????? Please help??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diannemc1957

Reaction score
Ok I posted the other day in the infirmary where I found a black and white hurt bunny on side on the road...I am new the this bunny stuff...The bunny only wants to eat romaine and herbs from my garden...she hasn't touched the pellets much..I also have hay in there but hard to tell if much of that is gone...I can't see where she is drinking any water...I have a water bottle hanging on side and a bowel of water in cage..When I put the romaine and herbs in there I leave them pretty wet when I wash them just so she is getting some water off of it...I also gave her some watermelon thinking that would have some fluids in it..Hope melon is ok??. I have not seen any poop in the last day or two..but today I saw her sitting there then get up, turn and and pick up something where she was sitting then started chewing..she did this several times but I couldn't see what she was eating..Do you think she is eating all her poop?? I know she pee pee last night cause I could smell it and this morning the floor was wet where she peed out on the carpet....She is more active early morning and late evening and that is when she eats..but at night and daytime she rest.. is this normal? Now this is a rabbit that has lived outside for over a year now...saw I am sure at times there was no where to get water..she seems to be pulling her hurt foot up under her some now so I hope it is not broken...Thanks for help...

The poop she is eating are her cecotropes. Bunnies produce regular fecals, and cecals as well, which are produced in a special gland located near where our appendix is. This is normal and healthy, and actually necessary for her nutrition. Kind of like when a cow chews it's cud, to get further nutrients out of it.

Rabbits are most active at sunrise/sunset. Dont worry, this is normal as well.

The injury is something to be concerned about, though. I understand that you can't take her to the vet, but it isn't right to leave her as is, either. I would call a local shelter, and ask if they euthanize rabbit. The humane society near my area does not put down any small animals. If this is the case, it may be kinder to release custody to them so that she can receive proper medical care.

Another option is to call vets in the area and see if they would be willing to open an account with you that you could pay off in installments. At the very least she needs an initial exam and a pain management plan.

Whatever you choose to do, it is important that you restrict movement and don't allow her to be running around a room. A broken foot can go from bad to worse quickly if given the opportunity.

Just remember that sometimes the kindest thing to do is also the hardest thing to do. Good luck.

I know our humane society does put injured animals down. so I am sure they will do that if I take her there but I will call them again and ask what to do..but they will not open till Tuesday...I have called the vets and no one will see her.. They just say they don't treat rabbits. I did call the wildlife rehab and i guess that is what is confussing me.. they said that there is really nothing to do but keep her in a small place and keep her calm. I asked her if I should have her put to sleep and she said NO..she can survive like she is but the only thing is she can never go outside again..She would have to be a total inside pet from now on...I told her I would not put her back out..She said she might need a antibotic shot..when I called the vet to see if I could get her a shot.she said rabbits can't take antibotics..They didn't want a rabbit that has been out in the wild in there office I guess..The bunny acts ok ...and seems to be doing better...Guess I will have to wait till Tuesday and see how it goes till then..I am really stating to love Panda..

Hi Diannemc,

Bunnies do eat their cecals (sp) this is where they get their protein from, so yes that is quite normal and very good that she is eating them.

Watermelon is ok but don't give a lot of it as their is alot of sugar in it.

Yes bunnies tend to be more active in the early am and evening. Mine are all VERY LAZY during the day. Even when I leave their cages open for them to come out and be with me they tend to stay in their cages.

Susan:)

Thanks so much...Panda is getting use to me and is letting me rub her more and more...she is just so sweet..She perks up when I come near her..I know how much trouble keeping the cages clean but how could anyone just throw these helpless things out!..?? I put a lot of Romaine in the cage last night and it was all gone this morning...she is eating a lot! I left it real wet when I put it in there so hopefully she is getting water from it...I just can't see where she is drinking water??? But lordy she is peeing so she must be???? Thanks for your help...

Hi, glad to hear Panda is eating.

None of mine drink alot of water. I can't get over reading on her how some bunnies drink a whole bottle of water a day. Like you I make sure their veggies are good and wet.

Have you or are you trying to Litter train :litterhealthy:panda? That would make your life a lot easier.

Susan:dutch

I put one in the cage put she just lays in it..I have some towels so she could lay on but she likes to pee pee on the towels..as long as she does that i can just wash the towels..I have a lot to learn about rabbits I see! Thanks

Latest posts

Back