Question/opinions on watery poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think this is and if I am handling it correctly.

Over the summer Little Bunny stopped eating for a week after getting a few doses of Zithromax. The Zitromax was stopped but it still took her a long time to start eating agian. I was giving her sub q fluids and feeding critical care. The vet mentioned at that time that we were getting into a dangerous time period of a rabbit not eating and that her GI tract may never fully recover.

Since then I have noticed sometimes she has really runny poop. But it is all at one time. Like she will go the bathroom and have like 3-4 runny poop stops and it will be on her. But all her other poops are fine. She will go a month or so and then it will happen again. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but her runny poops are never in her litter box. It always just happens where she is sitting, which is usually my off white carpet.

Anyway, I assumed this may just be the long term effects of the GI stasis she had in the summer and that the vet was correct that her GI tract did not go back to normal. She acts fine, eating fine, and all other poops are normal for a long period of time (a month or so).

It happened again today and now I am just trying to figure out if it is the long term effect of the GI stasis or if may be it could be something else. I never really treat it because it is over in like the 5 minutes. It is just one episode of 3-4 poops that are runny.

I also wondered if it could be her cecals because all the other poops are normal immediately after the runny ones. I am not sure how to tell which one it is. I also wondered if it was cecals because she is going on the floor and not in her litter box. Which I think her cecals she doesn't normally go in the litter box because I see her eating them outside her litter box.

I really don't want to take her to the vet since it only happens once every 4-6 weeks. I will mention it at her yearly check up in June. Do you think this is something I should get checked out now? Is it really possible for a rabbit to have long term GI issues after not eating for a week? I felt at the time the vet said that, she was trying to push me towards hospitalizing her and may be that is why she said it.

I am just second guessing myself on waiting for her yearly appointment and that it really is a from her GI tract being darned from the stasis. If there is a possibility that it could be something else, I don't want to wait to take her to the vet. But she seems fine in every area and has never had runny poop until she got the GI stasis.

Thanks for any advice or opinions you can offer.

ETA: Thinking about this. I think I over estimated the amount of times this has happened. Her GI stasis issue was in June or July and this has happend 4, 5 times max since then so it isn't really every 4-6 weeks.

I'd keep a journal and monitor exactly what she's been eating and what she had been doing prior to the episodes.

They are runny cecals, it's most likely related to something she's eating. The same cause may have triggered the stasis to begin with. What were the antibiotics prescribed for in the first place?

sas :ponder:

The antibiotics were prescribed for Bordetella (sp?) The vet said she has never seen such a bad reaction to Zithromax and to make sure I never let a vet ever give her that antibiotic again. When she was diagnosised with Bordetella. She was eating and acting fine. Just had a runny nose. The vet did a culture and it came back positive.

I can keep a journal. That is a good idea but I feed the same thing everyday so I am going to ahve to elaborate the journal. I feed kleenmama's timothy hay. 1 ounce a Oxbow Organic every other day. Cilantro, Red Leaf, Dandilion, and Endive twice a day. Then always crasins as a treat. Sometimes I pick a bag of Oxbow oat hay or something different for variety. I am thinking in order to do the journal I am going to have to document more then just what I am feeding her. May be there is something else I am missing that is happening that I am not even thinking about. It might help to document the number of crasins since that does vary from day to day and the other things don't. I will have to think about exactly what I could document that would give me more information then I have. That is a great idea. Thanks.

It is just strange that out of the 4 years I have had her she never had watery poop and now it has happened about 4 times. I wonder if there is something I changed after she had the GI stasis that is doing it. I added the pellets but she had one episode of watery poop before that.

I don't know why her GI tract would not be normal again because of one case of GI stasis and a reaction to zithromax. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Iwould possibly be suspicious of the veggies. Now and then one or 2 of my rabbits will have runny poop probably due to cilantro or dandelion . It possibly could be thatI give a little more some days than others.

I cannot feed red leaf at all because it disagrees with all of them

It doesn't really concern me because it is infrequent. I would be more concerned if it was happening on a white rug :D

I would try giving her a probiotic like benebac and possibly keeping a journal on exactly what you are feeding and how much( like sas said)

I don't think that this is a result of the Previous stasis problem

Thanks guys. I will start a journal. May be I am doing something I don't realize I am doing. That will give me something I can take to the vet for her yearly too.

Angieluv, it is always on my white carpet. Even when she had the stasis, it was always on my white carpet. Never on her dark green carpet or her litter box. I am lucky I have a great steam cleaner that gets it all up.

Little Bunny had runny poops again! And again on my white carpet. I just got done scrubbing it all. Now I have to go scrub my white rabbit, somehow she got it on her face. I am going to take her to the vet next week when I take Chase. Besides venting I really did have a question. Do you think Benebac would help? Or because it is so infrequent should I just keep pushing hay until her appointment next week? I have been keeping a journal and I can't find anything different then any other day.

Latest posts

Back