Question on what age to buy for show?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you all with this again, I know I am full of questions and I appologize. I have been reading on sites about showing and on a few I have read to stay away from the 5 - 8 week old bunnies and go with an older bunny around 4 months or older since you never know what they'll be like as they get older.

Is this neccesarily true? I am definitley trying to get a younger holland so that it will adjust easier to living inside and being around my family but well I don't know if I should get that adorable baby I was looking at now or go for an older one?

As a shower of rabbits what would you all suggest?

I have at times (rarely) sold bunnies less than 8 weeks of age - but only to experienced breeders who had rabbits the same age, etc....and only a couple of times.

I would NOT recommend buying a baby in the 5 week - 8 week old range - not so much because of show quality - but for the health of the baby and your peace of mind.

Trust me - there are things that can go wrong at this age as the baby is weaning from its mom. I think you are setting yourself up for potential heartbreak if the baby gets sick.

I'm sure other more experienced breeders and those who show can answer your question as far as being able to tell a show rabbit at that age.

Peg

I don't breed or show, but I've heard that with young babies you can't always tell how good their body type will be. I think I remember someone- was it Pam?- saying that she usually kept her babies till they were 12 weeks old because then she could get a better idea of their body types and if they're what she wants to show, breed, or sell.

I suppose it's a bit like looking at a human toddler and trying to figure out what she'll look like when she's 16.

And, like Tinysmom said, it's best in general to go with rabbits that are at least 8 weeks old for health reasons. Baby rabbits can easily get sick due to stress, and early weaning and being moved to a new home stresses them a lot.

if you are adding only 1 show rabbit, or even only 2 i would suggest not getting a young rabbit. this goes majorly if the person buying the rabbit is new to showing.

i would look for one closer to 5 months personally, and i wouldn't be afraid about the rabbit adjusting. . .adult rabbits are moved into a household as pets all the time. but this way you get a better rabbit because it isn't the first rabbits sold from the litter (breeders tend to go though stages of selling babies from a litter that they don't need, at 6-8 weeks they are selling the rabbits they know aren't great show rabbits, then they start to watch the babies they keep, and after some development they will keep the best bunny or 2 and sell the others, so by waiting you will also get a more 'show oriented' variety to pick from)

If you're looking to buy one rabbit that will consistently show well, then I would advise looking for a rabbit that has already proven itself on the show table.

Hollands are one of the highest priced breeds, so don't be surprised by prices from $100 to $200 and up if you want something that will show well.

If you are looking for something younger, it is very possible to get a very good idea of its show potential by 12 weeks. The bigger, longer Hollands will really start to be evident by that time. At 4-6 weeks -- they all look great LOL

Pam

Back