Question On Pricing Pet Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
I want to start looking for candidate homes for the 3 babies I have, and another litter due any day now.
Both litters are pet buns, mixed breed. That being said, should I at all take consideration into coloring/size/ect?

I don't believe in 'giving away' rabbits, or any animal for that matter, especially ones that are well taken care of, and these babies will be well socialized before going to their new homes.

How would you go about deciding on a good price for these babies? I feel like $5-$10 may be too little, but don't want to feel like I'm 'ripping off' their new families. I know feed stores around here normally charge like $12-$15 for rabbits, and some of the ones we had this year were quite sickly looking.

First of all, I'm not sure if you meant for this to go in the rabbitry area or the general forum area. I'm leaving it in the general forum area because I assume that you would like to hear what the members would be willing to pay.

With that said -a note to those reading...

If you would not buy from someone selling mixed breed bunnies - there is no need to reply to this thread. If you'd be someone telling folks "go to a rescue instead" - no need to reply to this thread saying you'd recommend a rescue.

In other words - this thread is for folks to share what they would be willing to pay for mixed breed rabbits IF THEY WERE WILLING TO BUY THEM!

With that said - I'd probably advertise them on hoobly.com and ask for $15 but state that they are coming with food (I like to send 2 cups) and their own water (just a 24 ounce bottle is good) and a rabbit care sheet. Then go a rabbit society website and find a caresheet and print them off.

Personally, I think that if you state that they're socialized (and share if they've ever been around pets) and that they come with food and THEIR WATER (which can cause problems when you switch water w/ babies)....that it would sound good. Also - put a few pictures in the ad of them being held (and not fighting it), etc.

Good luck. I'm needing to do a hoobly ad pretty soon for my flemish. Not sure yet who/which ones I'm keeping though so I haven't done it yet.

For my flemish - I was selling the pet quality for $25 but I'm upping it to $40.

I also have a questionnaire I send to people who are interested in buying from me - that way I can weed out some folks who may not be willing to make a lifetime commitment to a rabbit.

TinysMom wrote
With that said - I'd probably advertise them on hoobly.com and ask for $15 but state that they are coming with food (I like to send 2 cups) and their own water (just a 24 ounce bottle is good) and a rabbit care sheet. Then go a rabbit society website and find a caresheet and print them off.

Personally, I think that if you state that they're socialized (and share if they've ever been around pets) and that they come with food and THEIR WATER (which can cause problems when you switch water w/ babies)....that it would sound good. Also - put a few pictures in the ad of them being held (and not fighting it), etc.

I also have a questionnaire I send to people who are interested in buying from me - that way I can weed out some folks who may not be willing to make a lifetime commitment to a rabbit.
Honestly I never thought of the whole water idea. I already planned on giving some food. And I play with my rabbits everyday, that's including the babies, since they were 8 days old and had their eyes open. They're starting to nibble at food, but still have until about 7/24 until they'll be 10 weeks old and ready to leave home. =)

A questionnaire is a good idea too. Thanks for the great ideas, I will definitely be following your instructions!

In a way this goes against Tiny's mom, but doesn't?

Go with what you feel is right... there are a lot of people on craigslist with mixed buns for 40 dollars.

I think 15 is a fair price. I had some harlie babies I sold as pets only, and 15 is what they went for. I had a lot of 'that's too much'......then go somewhere else.

Hey - I don't care if folks don't agree....that's fine!

I do agree with going with what is right - and if mixed bunnies go for $40 in someone's area...then fine.

To me - the biggest thing is getting the rabbits into a home that I trust and feel like that rabbit will have a "forever" home.

So for me the price is always negotiable (although I don't say that in an ad).

I live in a farming town so on one hand that could mean a lot of great homes available, but it also makes me worried about my buns going for meat. I think $15-$20 would be a fair starting price, and lowering for places I think would be the perfect home. =)

This is the letter I send out to potential parents for my babies....just to show you what I do as a breeder.

The red information needs to be changed as it is about the prior litters I was selling.

[line]If you would prefer to talk over the phone - please feel free to call me. I am sorry if my questions seem a bit nosy but I really put a lot of time and effort into my rabbits and it is important to me that they go to a good home where they won't be abused (even by accident).

Hello! I wanted to take a moment and reply quickly to you about your interest in our flemish giants. I have a few questions that I ask before selling any rabbits (I ask everyone - not just you). My rabbits are raised in my home and are like "kids" to me (in fact - we sometimes call them "kids" when they're out playing). Therefore, it is important to me that I find the right home for the rabbits and match the right rabbit to the right home (they really do have such different personalities).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer these questions....

Are you looking for a male or female?

Will the rabbit be living inside or outside?

What type of cage arrangements do you have (or are you willing to make) for the rabbit? (Please note that they can not live on wire flooring - I use extra large dog crates for them and then let them have playtime in the house. A hutch outside would work IF the floor was not wire).

How many children and what ages are in the home?

Who will be providing the main care for the rabbit?

Do you have a source locally for buying pellets and hay?

What other animals will be around the rabbit?

Have you ever had a rabbit before?

Have you done any research about having rabbits? If so...where/what?

Why are you interested in a flemish giant?

Now for some information about me and my flemish giants....

I am a fairly new breeder to flemish giants - but I've had them as pets for over 4 years. My flemish giants are raised in my home and when they are young - I frequently spend an hour or more per day with the litter to socialize them and let them play. They have grown up around our two dogs and two cats and will frequently jump over them or climb over them to get around them. They are fairly comfortable with humans - BUT - they are temperamental also. Some of them like to cuddle - most of them prefer to come to you for some pets when you're sitting on the floor. A couple are "kissers".

The rabbits that I will be selling as pets are being sold that way for one or more of several reasons - it could be that their ears are lopping a bit and they haven't yet gotten ear control (or may not have good ear control). It could be that they are going to be small for flemish giants (the most common reason). It could be that their coat color isn't what I want for the rabbits for show and breeding. None of these issues are "health" issues but are instead ones that affect the rabbit's ability to be shown and make weight - or pass on characteristics to offspring.

The light gray rabbits were born on December 24th, 2009 - and they are over 3 months old. This means they will not be itty bitty babies when you get them - I need to observe them until 3 or 4 months of age to determine who is showable.

The steel litter was born 3/11 and will not be ready to go for sure until June 15th - but some of them MAY be available by mid/late May depending upon how the weaning process goes. I will not sell rabbits before 8 weeks of age.

Anyway - if you would prefer to call me and discuss these questions rather than type them out - you can call me weekdays after 2 pm at

I hope you understand the reason for these questions....I pretty much raise these animals like my own pets and I want to make sure they go to a home that fits their personality so they will be happy and you will be happy.

Lots of good advice and thanks, Peg, for heading off those with snarky comments. The guy that ran the feed store where we used to live would sell for a few people at $25. He said it made them too expensive for meat or snakes but not so high that someone that wanted to give them a good home still found it affordable.

I agree with $15 and I love Peg's questionnaire. Where I live we have problems with reptile owners prowling craigslist for free and/or cheap small animals to use as food for their reptiles. NOT COOL! So I really think you'd weed out any weirdos like that by having a questionnaire. ;)

I have seen a good range from near free to $40 in MA. I have to agree with other who mention the extras. If the bun comes with a care sheet and some food and water and a leash, etc. The price will seem like less and hopefully lead to better care.
PS. My pet store bunny cost $40 and I would guess he is only of pet quality. Cute little bugger though.

A lot of it really depends on what the market is in your area. If there are lots of other mixed breed bunnies for $5-10, you probably won't do well trying to sell them for $30. If the rabbits tend to go for $20-30, then you can go around that. I could check sites like Kijiji and even some breeder website to see what people are selling them for. Also look at your local humane society for the adoption fee and try to stay under that too.
I would not up the price to include food as you should so that anyway. However, if you are going to include other stuff like accessories, then include the costs of those too. It is a good idea to print off a care sheet with some good reference websites as well.
I would do a questionnaire that they have to fill out really before you discuss much more with potential people. This helps to weed out the people who are not serious. Also meet them and talk about bunnies. If they do not seem right, then you do not have to give them a bunny. Go with your gut, if you are not comfortable with them then there is probably something up and they might not be a good home.
If you can, say they you will take them back if the family can't care for them. The breeder I got Lillian from sold a rabbit a couple weeks ago and that rabbit is now back with her. The person who bought her kept her outside in a chicken pen (this is an angora rabbit), she was thin, has some stuff in her wool and seemed to be quite scared. The buyer lied to the breeder and to other people. The breeder did have a feeling that this wasn't a good sale and now regrets it.

for a purebred pet quality rabbit, i would pay up to $30. for a MIX BREED rabbit, i wouldn't pay more than $10-$15, depending on the rabbit. i wouldn't pay more for a mix breed rabbit just because color/size/ect. for a breed where size matters, like netherland dwarfs or flemmish giants, i can see paying more based on size, but not for a mix breed. i do agree with doing a questionnaire, and maybe even requiring a vet reference. if they don't have a vet yet, you can provide them with suitable suggestions. i do think you should check around with breeders (of pedigreed rabbits and mixes), since the price can vary so much by area. here, i frequently see litters of purebred, non pedigreed rabbits listed for around $10.

I've done some research, and I know for my two 'pet quality' buns that I got from a breeder in the area (I got them without pedigree, but have the option of going back and getting them if I'd like) I paid $20 per rabbit, and didn't get anything else with them as far as food, care sheet, ect. I see rabbits on CraigsList go from anywhere from FREE to $100 if they have a cage and food. I don't have cages to send with the babies, but I definitely have enough food, hay and other things to send with them so they can be comfortable during their transistion to a new home. To be honest, MY vet is 30 miles away, but I've always been welcome to drive the distance for my babies (rabbits and dogs included... I even took a baby turtle to the vet last year, and after a $60 vet bill, more than the turtle itself, the baby died )= ) I'll have to call around to local vets to see if their is a closer 'rabbit savvy' vet. I will start compiling a questionnaire, and maybe post something up on that website. =)

Latest posts

Back