Question on food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Sunseed

Sunscription/ Vita

Vita rabbit formulia

that is the name on the bag. Is that a good food or should I get something else. I get it from my mom and pop store in my area.
I just wondered they get there daily fruits and vegys also

Crude protien 17%

Curde fat 2.3%

Crude Fiber 22%

I moved this over to Nutrition and Behaviour for you since this is a nutrition question.

Have you read through the library files on feeding your rabbit? Take a look here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Make sure that the pellet is a plain pellet with no treats or coloured bits in it. You want a high fiber and low protien (12-14%) for an adult and timothy is prefered over alfafa if possible.

You should also feed unlimited grass hays like timothy, brome and orchard.

For veggies you should be able to find several list of safe veggies in the link I gave above. You want to introduce veggies slowly if your rabbit has never had them before. Give in small amounts then slowly increase making sure that it doesn't upset his tummy. Start with one veggie and when you know he's adjusted, add in another one slowly and continue to add to his dinner menu until you think he's getting enough variety.

--Dawn

I used to feed Sunseed, the plain pellets, until one day it dawned on me that I'd not looked at the ingredients and they were alphalfa:?. Not sure if Sunseed makes timothy pellets. I think the Vita ones have those treats in with the pellets, don't feed those. I've not heard of the Sunscription one. I tried looking it up, but they don't show their products on their website:?.

I'm still working on putting together a database on pellet feeds, and came accross the ingredients/analysis of the Sunseed pellets. The Vita ones look very good to me, no junk bits, (unless you call papaya, banana and carrots junk) mostly timothy based, very high fiber and low protein (higher fiber and lower protein than Oxbow!!). If those papaya etc bits are mixed with the pellets, I would just remove them and just feed the pellets, keep the fruit bits for occasional treats. Anyway, here are the ingredients:

Sun Seed Vita Plus Adult Rabbit Formula
Ingredients:
Dehydrated Timothy Meal, Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Yeast Culture, Cane Molasses, Ground Corn Cob, Wheat Middlings, Chopped Timothy Hay, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Banana, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Papaya, Calcium Carbonate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, Ground Wheat, Salt, Spirulina, Vegetable Oil, Whey, Ground Barley, Papaya Powder, Dehydrated Parsley, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Dicalcium Phosphate, L-Lysine, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Cobalt Sulfate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Dehulled Ground Sunflower Seed, Kelp Meal, Grape Seed Pomace, Wheat Germ Meal, DL-Methionine, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma Viride Fermentation Product, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Betaglucanase, Lactase, Beta Carotene, Sodium Selenite, Color Added.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Fiber 35
Crude Protein 12
Crude Fat 1.5

Woops, looks like that's a different product. The one you have looks like the "young rabbit" formula: more protein, less fiber, alfalfa based.
I'd definately not feed that if your rabbit is adult, but as long as he/she is young and growing, it should be ok. Once they're adult though, or if they are already, better to change to the adult formula. And again, if there are dried fruit bits, sieve them out and keep them for occasional treats.

Sun Seed Vita Plus Rabbit Formula for Young Rabbits
Ingredients:
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Flax Seed, Corn Distillers Dried Grains, Chopped Timothy Hay, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Papaya, Calcium Carbonate, Dehydrated Banana, Salt, Ground Oat Groats, Ground Wheat, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Vegetable Oil, Choline Chloride, Spirulina, Cane Molasses, Ground Barley, L-Lysine, Dehulled Ground Sunflower Seed, Kelp Meal, Potassium Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Dehydrated Parsley, Papaya Powder, Grape Seed Pomace, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Cobalt Sulfate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Product, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma Viride Fermentation Product,Wheat Germ Meal, Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Betaglucanase, Lactase, Beta Carotene, Sodium Selenite, Color Added.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Fiber 22
Crude Protein 17.5
Crude Fat 2.5

I wouldn't feedeither versionat all. If you read farther down the ingredient lists, you start finding all the treats they have added. It's much, much better to buy a plain pellet with no treats, and choose the type and amount of treats yourself.

Those extra bits are not needed at all. The fruit bits like papaya are very high in sugar, and the veggies are also high sugar carrots. If a rabbit is to be fed daily veggies it should be leafy greens like romaine, kale, parsley, etc.

Have you looked through the Feeding Your Rabbit Q&A?http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=48

Thanks for the imput. I did read the link y'all gave me and they will be changing food dodge is 8 months and chevy is 2 years

I have been out of town on a emergancy trip for 2 days but i am changing there food as soon as I find one I really like and can get a hold of.

Any suggestions on a different food.

If you want a timothy pellet, try Oxbow BB/T, Kaytee Timothy Complete, or the new Zupreem timmy pellet. Oxbow can be harder to find but most pet stores carry Kaytee. If you want quality alfalfa pellets, all and see what is available at local feed stores. Tell us the brands and we'll help you choose. A lot of feed store brands are far higher quality than pet store alfalfa pellets, although sometimes you can only get them in huge bags. In general, alfalfa pellets should have 16% or lessprotein and 18% or more fiber.

Alfalfa pellets are still okfor most adults as long as they are limited, and they are eating grass hay.

Well I went to my local feed store they did not have any all the sell is hay

I live in the city like near the beach so most people dont buy that stuff out here

I thought Kay tee was the worst food you could feen a rabbit Is there one that people would really suggest I have chevy who is 4 pound and dodge who is going to be about 10 pounds

I buy Kaytee Timothy Complete. It's comparable to Oxbow's Timothy pellets, a bit less protein, a bit less fiber, but they shouldn't get too many pellets either. If they eat hay, they'll get their fiber from that.
I prefer the Zupreem though, but that's slightly harder to get, and more expensive, so I mix them.

Latest posts

Back