Question on Eye Watering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased my 7 week old blackSatin rabbit (named Bella) and have had her a few days without problem. However, two days ago her eyes started to water. Now its nothing more then watering, she's eating, drinking and is normal in her activity so I would think she is having a slight allergic reaction to something. We have bought her a few new things in the past few days.

She was eating a LM Animal Farms brand of rabbit food and I found a food that seemed a bit better in fiber and it is made for younger rabbits (Sunscription brand) and slowly changed her to that. The difference is that this one has timothy hay and the first brand didn't. (She eats Alfalfa hay) So maybe she is reacting to that? The only other things that have changed since then are a chew wood chew toys and we bought her a litter pan. (Whereas her cage has a drop pan for the litter) So maybe being in contact with the litter is bothering her? (It is an equinepellet bedding whichwas recommended by a sales lady).

Besides that she has a new playpen with a mat but her eyes started before we introduced her to it.

Other than her eyes watering she is completely normal, but it just bothers me and I would love another take on it. :)

Thanks

As a baby, she should still be on an alfalfa based pellet. There are better ones out there than the LM Animal Farms brands, though. Depending on whether you want to go to a feed store or a pet store to get it, we can suggest one.

The litter should be fine if it is made of hardwood or kiln dried pine.

Is the eye liquid clear? It's both of them?

Yeah, as long as the litter isn't normal pine or cedar, or is very dusty, it is probably just a reaction to stress. Pine and cedar have harmful oils in them, but drying the wood in a kiln removes the harmful oils. Most horse beddings are kiln dried pine or hardwood shavings formed into pellets. A lot of times bunnies will react to the stress of getting a new home by having some minor symptoms of illness for a few days, but after they settle down, it goes away. Just keep an eye on it for now.

Latest posts

Back