question on chinchilla cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
are NIC cages suitable for chinchillas?

i'd like to make my own cage, if possible. there are no NIC panels for sale in Malaysia (but i can get them from Singapore) so I don't really know the size of the grids on an NIC panel.. they look 1inch x 1inch in the photos i've seen here. I read that the maximum grid size on chinchilla cages should not exceed 1inch x 1inch as chinchillas like to jump and bounce of the walls of their cage, so bigger grids may cause their legs to slip through and get fractured/broken.

If you think the grids are too big for a chin you could always overlap them like we do for baby guinea pigs. You won't be able to use the connectors but they aren't as sturdy as the tie wraps anyway.

Also, Another member on the board was able to find the NIC grids that were made from mesh which would be perfect if you are able to find them.

thanks, luvthempigs. i remember seeing a pic of the NIC mesh grid. I wish they'd sell those grids here :grumpy:

somebunny wrote:
thanks, luvthempigs. i remember seeing a pic of the NIC mesh grid. I wish they'd sell those grids here :grumpy:
I agree. Thos look so awesome but I've never ran across any, anywhere.

You could put hardware cloth around the panels. It can be found at most hardware stores and has holes that vary in size. Attetch it with zip ties.
I don't know what stores are in Malaysia, so you may need to look around a bit. I have seen the mesh grids at Linens-n-things. Other home stores may also have them.

Thanks for the suggestion, Korr_and_Sophie. how do hardware cloth look like? i'm imagining its something similar to the mesh on the NIC grids which luvthempigs and Leaf were referring to? It'd be great if you had a pic showing the hardware cloth :biggrin2:

i'm afraid i cant use zip ties tho...chinchillas apparently will chew on anything plastic in their cages. i'll probably drop by the hardware shop to see if i can find anything metal to secure the hardware cloth with.

oh, i haven't actually gotten the chinchillas yet. i'm still at the 'research' stage, trying to get as much info as i can on proper care, cage, toys, etc :)thanks for all the input so far, everyone!

I have a chinchilla and can attest that chinchillas can and will chew if given the opportunity. I originally had a NIC pen set up for my chin, but that lasted all of 24-hours because the horror stories I heard got me thinking...and in quick order.

There are many problems with NIC grids - either the normal ones or the wire mesh ones as neither are suitable.

-- Cable ties used to connect the grids or panels together are easily snapped off with one bite from a chin. And connectors would be chewed in a heartbeat and leave too large an opening for the chin to get out of.
-- The grids are too large and chinchillas can easily squeeze out of them. And, worse, the grids allow for the chins to stick their whole heads outside of and they can get caught and hang themselves or break their necks. If you think something is small enough, go two sizes smaller - chinchillas can get out of very small spaces.
--Chinchillas need height, height, height in their cages. The rule is to build vertically rather than horizontally. They need tons of ledges to jump to and from and the grids even if built up are too small and their feet can get caught causing a break.

You need to stay away from plastic as chinscan and will chew it and then have gastrointestinal issues and blockages. They need a lot of space and take a lot of care. And bunnies and chinchillas shouldn't be kept in the same area of the house for many different reasons. Mine is kept in an entirely separate portion of the house. Please think through a chinchilla before getting one and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns. Good luck!

The NIC panels are not plastic but the connectorsand tie wraps are made of plastic.

Latest posts

Back