Question for breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatum

Reaction score
Hi, Just curious,

Since your rabbits are obviously not spayed or nuetered, I am curious as to how long they live and what are the usual causes of death.

The reason i ask is that I was at as how (my first one) and in talking to 3 others (breeders) they didn't think altering was necessary and one mentioned it being all hype.

In my opinion I think it is a good thing and you can more likely keep them in with other rabbits so they have company and are happier, but heath wise what are your opinions?

Thanks a lot!

Tatum

I am moving this to the rabbitry since that is where the breeders discuss things.

Peg

Tatum,

Were you at the Springfield, OHshow? You may have been the lady over by my table when I was judging--I've got blonde hair, tattoo, lots of earrings and had a maroon judging apron on : )

Did you have fun at the show?

Back to the subject at hand -- Nope, the recommendations to spay/neuter are not "all hype." Uterine tumors are very common in rabbits(although not all are necessarily cancerous), and I've also seen a few cases of testicular tumors in bucks.

Most breeders do not necropsy their animals, and many breeders do not keep older animals in their barns. I'm sure they would be surprised at the actual number of uterine abnormalities.

Pam

Hi Tatum,

I've only been breeding a couple of years and my eldest breeding rabbitis just over 3yrs old. A close friend of mine however, has been breeding for several years - close to 10yrs - and has retired brood rabbits that are 6-8yrs old. A couple of hers that she had retired passed of old age related causes - mainly GI Stasis& Enteritis.

I agree with the other breeders that altering is not necessary - this I take from personal experience owning unaltered pet rabbits (that were never bred or had litters). I had 2 unaltered pet buns in High School which lived a long, healthy 8 & 9yrs with me... and recently had a Pet bun that was also unaltered who lived6yrs. All 3 that I had passedfrom GI Stasis, although the more I think about it - our last one had symptomsidentical toEnteritis. :? I have not had a case of (or known anyone personally who had a case of) anyunaltered rabbit passing due to Cancer of the reproductive organs as a result of being unaltered - if this was the basis of your question.

In my opinion I think it is a good thing and you can more likely keep the min with other rabbits so they have company and are happier

I have a different view of opinion when it comes to rabbits being happier with a companion. (I'm sorry if others don't see my point, but it's my own personal opinion)

Rabbits by nature are Solitary animals that are only seen togetherformating or when they'rewith their young. They are very territorial - anyone owning a female rabbit - or multiple male rabbits can vouch for this.You can read more on this by doing a web search on the "European Wild Rabbit" which all our domestic rabbits originated from. So, in my opinion, rabbit's do not need any more companionship than their human counterpart.

~Sunshine

Remember that cancer can be a cause of GI stasisas well as a contributing cause in enteritis. Without anecropsy, one cannot assume that the rabbit was tumor/cancer free.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Remember that cancer can be a cause of GI stasis as well as a contributing cause in enteritis. Without anecropsy, one cannot assume that the rabbit was tumor/cancer free.

Pam
True. However, ICAN rule out Tumor/Cancer in the most recent pet passing - a home necropsy was performed with no"oddities" found.

Back