Question for aquarium keepers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz_1987

Reaction score
Ok, I went to the London Aquarium on Sunday. It was so lovely to see all of the cute fishies.

I found some really amazing fish in this tank, I dont know why I found them so amazing as they were just plain silver aquarium fish.

But I was watching this particular one for about 5 minutes. And I swear it yawned! I am not joking. And it didnt just yawn, it did the full yawn. Exactly like this... :yawn

Am I just going mad but do fish yawn?

My boyfriend (fiance, dammit keep saying boyfriend!)doesnt believe me butI SWEAR I saw it yawn!

Seeing a fish yawn made my day!

My Red Devils do it all the time.

IMG_4114.jpg

It's not exactly yawning since they aren't tired that I know of. They make the same motion when their spitting things out (Like rocks.) But they also do it sometimes randomly. I never really thought about why before. Maybe they're low on oxygen and the water moving faster over their gills is like taking a big breath or something.

~Christine~

eta-
Yawning is normal for almost all fresh water fish. The are actually back flushing their gills to clear particles our of their gills. So don't be concerned about your fish yawning. I like to watch my fish for a few minutes until they yawn.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/submitted_feedback_page_38.htm

Interesting article. So...I guess the "fish have a 3-second memory" thing is urban legend?

:what:imstupid

Okay okay, I just wanted an excuse to use some of the new emoticons.

:whistling

Oh look, I did it again!

:bunny17

And again. Okay I'm done.

:thud

Well now I am.

Thanks for all the replies!

I never really imagined a fish 'yawning' as such but I am so glad I have seen one!

I want some Red Devil's now! They look so cute!

Yes, fish yawn. According to my dad who is a fish freak, fish yawn because they lack some kind of nutrient (I don't remember what). My ariwana yawns a lot although we give him vitamins. Poor guy.

Back