Question - Can Wry Neck Be Treated?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and it can be caused by a few things. I have three that have the tilt left. Ok well ones is currently dormant.

Eta: I'm on my way home will give a better reply when I get home.

#1 cause of wry neck is inner ear infection, which can be treated if caught early enough and treated aggressively.

When it occurs in conjunction with e cuniculi, it's 99% of the time a bacterial inner ear infection secondary to the EC infection. EC is just really good at weakening the immune system to bacterial infections, and bacterial infections of the ear in rabbits are pretty common.

I have not heard of genetic wry neck but I would expect it is possible but rare. It would probably develop after one of the big developmental milestones, like eyes opening, moving around with coordination, not just spontaneously.

Trauma to the inner ear can also cause wry neck but again that is rare.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/otitis_interna_media.PDF

Here is another great article on head tilt - very reader-friendly...

From the end of the article:

Whatever the cause of your rabbit's head tilt, I hope that some of the information here will give your vet and you some leads to pursue. Many, many people have written to me before, asking about head tilt. I'm happy to say that almost every one of them has written back to say that patience, loving husbandry and the proper medicine and physical therapy had their bunnies up and running. It may have taken a week, a month, or even several months, but everyone said it was worth the work.

The article is by Dana Krempels, who many people respect for her knowledge of and work with rabbits.

I had a chinchilla that when he was a baby started tilting his head. Took him to the vet and he did have an ear infection. He was on antibiotics and baby gas drops for the gas. He had the tilt like 6mo after then one day he was fine. He was a awesome chin to like his dad he was a tov beige violet.

Anyways what I wanted to ask someone thought maybe my buck has this as he walks very week and falls over sometimes. I thought maybe he was just weak from being in a small cage before I got him. So I gave him the kitchen all to him self. It never got any better. He has had this sense I got him over 6mo ago and who knows how long before I got him. When he cleans himself he falls over. He eats and drinks fine. He is also 3 years old.

Latest posts

Back