Question bout feeding rabits before vets.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
So my three rabbits are getting neutered tomorrow, and the vet told me to bring down some food with them.

I understand that they have to keep eating right up to the surgery, even the vet told me that. She said how they feed them till right before the surgery.

But I usually feed them a handful of pellets and some veggies in the morning at about 10am-11am. I have to bring them down at 8.30am, and will be bringing hay, pellets and some chopped up veggies too so they can encourage them to eat before/afterwards.

But will I feed them pellets/veggies here before they go down or should I just wait,till the vets put them in the cages they have and feed them then?

You can give pellets in the morning, but if you think they won't eat them then don't worry about it. They should be fine with hay. If you think they will eat it, then go ahead and give them. Maybe give less to avoid wasting it.
I would just not give it in the morning but ask the vet to give it there before the surgery and have it after.

My rabbits are used to getting fed around 11am, so when we have to do agility or something earlier they tend not to eat the pellets as they aren't used to eating that early.

Ok, thanks. Yes I think Ill wait considering it will be that early in the morning and they wont havelong to eat it as Ill be pretty much going soon. Thanks anyhow:)

Yeah, I tried to feed my rabbit early the day she was spayed. She just played with the cat instead. I took the food along and she ate at the vet's office before surgury.

I would feed them as you normally would before you leave and then bring extra pellets (I'm glad I fed mine before going there because once he was in his temporary cage, he wouldn't eat much of anything (too scared I guess)

My rabbits always ran right over and started in on their pellets when I offered them. I'd give them their regular food at home but also send them with some. They may be nervous on the way to the vet/at the vet and personally I'd rather know they'd had something to eat at home.

Latest posts

Back