question about weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephiemarie78

Reaction score
Ron my boyfriend says that Coco is getting to fat! I said she is just fluffy. Well i was looking at pictures of her and I think maybe he's right. i feel bad. I know when i make there veggies i might give her more then i should even pellets. Im a bad mommie.

around april 07
100_6178.jpg

recent
100_6873.jpg

I wish I had a scale how much should a mini rex weight

A Mini Rex doe should be no more than 4 1/2 lbs. if you're going to show her. But it depends on her breeding, condition and age. It's always healthier not to let them get too overweight.

Try a little more "PLAY" time (exercise?) and cut back on some of the treats. Banana's, grapes, cereal, oats, etc. can be loaded with sugar and carbs... simplify her diet and smaller portions.

I weigh my Tony on the bathroom scale--I hold him, take the weight of me + bunny, then set him down and get my weight, and subtract it from the first one to get Tony's weight! She does look a little "fluffy," but i'm no expert and rexes always look a little different because of their short fur.

I've always been told that if you can feel their backbone easily they aren't overweight BUT - I could feel bo's and he was overweight and it was confirmed at the vet's office.

Some mini-rex are going to be a bit bigger but excercise, controlled pellets and lots of timothy hay really has helped Bo to be more healthy. His poopy butt is all gone, his hair is coming in better and he's much happier.

I give him 1/4 cup of Oxbow pellets daily (half in the morning and half at night) and he gets a treat every day for breakfast (oatsies - like 10 or so, a slice - very little - of banana or a 2 or 3 cheerios)..... he gets a bit of salad at night and he's always got lots of hay.

Oh and she looks like she has little fat rolls over her legs.. that could be a bit overweight showing.

I tried the bathroom thing and it's always wrong........ *sigh*

She does get lots of time out of her cage, but she's kinda a lazy butt. Maybe things will be better for her when Snowy gets here she'll have someone to chase around!

Have Faith! They will =) uhhhh I give her hand full of veggies. but its the carrots, crasins, apples =/ or the fact when i get food ready i may give her more because i'm making snoopy and sadies at the same time. I don't really measure. I just know how much she will eat and thats what I give her. I feed her Purina Chow in the green bag. I'll start measuring what i give her.

Cut back on the craisins and carrots. Both are loaded with sugar. More dark greens or hay. They are just like kids in a candy store... they want the sweet stuff! LOL!

:eats:

I've had Mini rex that were not overweight at 5 lbs. (Not showable, but excellent brood does) and I've had them over weight at 4 lbs. (as in too tubby to put on the show table!).The new friend might make her more active.

Don't make her lose it too fast. That isn't healthy either.

Well I have been giving her lots of green veggies and I will hide the crasins and stop buying carrots she was the only one that would eat them. Im going to go to walmart and buy measuring cups! Like right now her cage door is open she only came out for like 4 mins then right back in. She LOVES cilantro. I don't show my rabbits.

100_6837.jpg

Oh, I didn't mean anything about showing... just refering to the breed standard, sort of our guideline for breed weights. (And how they all don't fit perfectly! LOL!)

Cocois really beautiful. We've been lucky enough to have two broken chocolates here. They are SO pretty. Yours has gorgous markings.

I love Coco. She seems a lot like Bo. He loves his cilantro too, and isn't always the busiest of the bunnies. I try to play games to make him move a bit more. Clover bites his butt so he moved then but that became an issue so we had to stop letting them play together LOL.

As hard as it is, I had to take the treats way back. Now I try to use a stem of cilantro or parsley as a treat. They like it and I still get the pleasure of feeding them something - it's so fun to watch them eat for some reason! Clover will stuff a piece of lettuce in her face !

Oh, FUN!!! I know my buns love tunnels. :D

And I think you're on the right track. I free fed (or at least fed trying to measure by sight) for a LONG time. Now that I've been measuring, it's nice to know they're getting more proper amounts. A couple have gained a bit of weight (*cough* Trixie & Flower *cough*), but when we move, and they have more time out to run around, they'll lose the weight, so I'm not worried. I don't give anybun treats very frequently...though Fiver's gotten a few more recently (have to give him treats after putting him through heck to give him meds, hehe), but otherwise, I don't even really give them carrots.

What SORT of pellet food do you give them? That can help a lot, too. :)

Latest posts

Back