Question about weight at almost 4 mouths

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura331

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I recently got my bunny Mischief. The place I got her estimated she was 3 months, so by now she would almost be 4 months. I have been giving her unlimited hay, and as much pellets as she wants to eat because that is what I read you were supposed to do until about 6 months. I have also been slowly introducing veggies, right now it's just kale, cilantro, and a bit of carrot top. I was noticing yesterday that she has a belly on her. I wouldn't say she is over weight but I can definitely see her pudgy belly.

Now it could be either of 3 senerios.
1. It's normal for bunny's to have a belly when they are this young.
2. I'm over feeding her and need to cut down on the pellets or veggies.
3. Which I hope it's not but is it possible she could be pregnant. I know that the place I got her mixed the males and females.

Just wondering what you guys thought. Here is a pic of my adorable Mischief.

1390874491007.jpg

1390874547265.jpg

Whoa that is quite a belly! It could be the angle in the first picture, but I don't think that is normal. Try gently palpating your fingers over it, and see if you can feel little grapes inside. If you can, she is pregnant. But if the belly feels taut and hard, get her to a vet immediately, she is likely bloated with gas.

Hold off on the veggies for now until you figure out what's the problem. She doesn't really need veggies at this age and kale sometimes causes gas.

thank you for the information, but i did some research into it and i don't think she is bloated, i ready that she wouldn't be eating, drinking or pooping, and trust me she is doing all of those things, as we speak she has pooped like 100 times, and has been munching on her pellets. I also felt around her tummy and everything felt normal, no grapes or anything, she didn't seem in any discomfort either when i was feeling. Maybe i am just over reacting and freaking out.

Young rabbits can sometimes get chubby. Is just her belly chubby or is she all round chubby? I would just suggest cutting back on the pellets a little. Veggies are fine. And keep feeding unlimited hay. What kind of hay are you feeding?

I am feeding her Timothy hay. And it's just her tummy that is chubby. I will cut down on the pellets and maybe cut down on the kale. I gave her some veggies last night and she munched them down and came begging for more.

Latest posts

Back