Question about tooth-trim (and anesthesia) recuperation...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it typically takes a bun to recuperate from anesthesia and a tooth trim?

My girl, Zoe, had some back teeth trimmed while under sedation today.(The vet found a few superficial lacerations on Zoe's tongue; it's a plus that the problem was found now.)

Zoe is home but iss-l-o-w-l-y recuperating from the anesthesia and hasn't touched any hay since 7:30 am today (the time that I left totake her to the vet's office). The vet let me take her home tonight because Zoe was alert and she agreed that I'd likely have more luck coercing Zoe to eat something.

I did get Zoe to eat a small amount of Italian parsley and some Critical Care tonight. (The CC is risky because it usually upsets her gut; but I don't want her to go without anything in her system.) I'll feed her more of it before bedtime, if she doesn't start nibbling some hay by then.

Thank you,

Jenk

You want her eating the Critical Care, but she may feel the effects of the anesthesia for up to a few days. As long as she is eating and pooping normally she should recover fine, but keep a close eye on her. If you think she's not doing ok, take her back to the vet. Better to be safe than sorry :)

Violet23 wrote:
You want her eating the Critical Care, but she may feel the effects of the anesthesia for up to a few days. As long as she is eating and pooping normally she should recover fine, but keep a close eye on her. If you think she's not doing ok, take her back to the vet. Better to be safe than sorry :)

Hi, Violet23.

Zoe didn't pass any fecals after 7:30 am today, but she hadn't eaten anything between then and 6:45 pm tonight. Now that she hasa little parsley and Critical Care in her system, I hope/pray that she passes something overnight tonight.

I told the vet that if Zoe doesn't pass any fecals by early tomorrow morning, I'll bring her back in to the clinic. The only reason for her to return, though, would be to get another injection of pain medication; I can continue to feed her at home. (I have Metacam, but Zoe's hadone dose of it and an injectable pain med. today; so I won't give her more Metacamuntil tomorrow morning.)

What worries me most is that Zoe is a CPS (Cow-Pile Syndrome) bun, so her digestive system doesn't function properly on its own. She recently started taking Cisapride regularly; I'm hoping that it's enough to get her through this hump--especially if she winds up needingregular tooth trims.

I'm not sure about my vet but it seemed like she was able to trim Peppy's teeth without anesthesia? Maybe I'm wrong but it was a quick procedure and he seemed rather unphased by it

PeppyTheHare wrote:
I'm not sure about my vet but it seemed like she was able to trim Peppy's teeth without anesthesia? Maybe I'm wrong but it was a quick procedure and he seemed rather unphased by it

Sedation is used to check the teeth farthest backin the mouth and allows the vet to better see if there's anyirritation/lacerations on the tongue and/or cheek walls. I suppose that some buns might make good patients for this procedure, but Zoe fights it. So the vet can only file Zoe's teeth that aren't too far back. But she needed to see far back into Zoe's mouth, so sedation was the only option.

Normally, tooth checks/trims only require light sedation. The bunny should wake within minutes and be fine. I watched my vet do Sparky once and she was awake in no time at all. Sparky was under for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back