Question About Taking Trips....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpalamar

Reaction score
I have a bit of a concern.... this weekendcoming my campground opens and I go every weekend from May untilSeptember. I usually leave Friday nights and come home on Sundayafternoons. I want to know... is it safe for me to leave my bunns homewhile I take off to the campsite for the weekend? Is it too long for meto be gone? Will they be able to sustain themselves or am I better offbringin them with me (in their travel cage, which isn't very big). Whatshould I do? Part of me wants to bring them because I'm concerned abouttheir health and don't know whether or not it's safe to leave them, butat the same time, I don't want to bring them with me because I have tobring my dog with me, and I don't allow my dog and my bunns to playtogether because my dog is a BIG breed dog (not to mention he's still ababy and plays WAYYYYY too rough). What can I do? Is it REALLY safe toleave my bunns for 2 days?

Melissa

K lets see.. in my opinion 2 days seem fine. Butwhat about there water? Im sure food can last 2 days but.. not waterand that can be a problem.. heres why

1. they need daily excerise
2. water needs change everyday

I leave my rabbits over the weekend all thetime, but my parents have a key and they stop by and check on them.Only once I left them for a weekend with no one to check up on them - Iwas worried the whole time. (My grandmother was in the hospital so allmy normal bunny sitters where there).

Here's what I did:

Supplied three sources of water for each cage - two bottles and one bowl

Filled the bottom layer with Timothy hay - unlimited food and extra warmth if the heat went out

Removed all toys from the cage just incase

Overfilled the food bowl with extra food

I only did that because it was an emergency. I would try to find aneighbor with a pet to look in on your rabbits. You can check on theirpets when they are gone too then.

If you cant trust anyone in your house that's one thing, but you couldtell someone just to come in and check on them - make sure their waterbottle is full and there is hay. Most people are able to do that much.

Also, think- what would happen if you wrecked your car on the way home.Who would care for your bunnies if you were in the hospital? Who wouldeven know they needed care?

I personally would never leave my rabbitsbecause I would be terrified of something happening, and I wouldforever be blaming myself if something did happen, and I was not thereto make a difference.

Is there not anyone at all that you can get to just go in, or aroundthe outside of your house, and check to ensure they have enough stuff?

I agree with everyone's points ... I amterrified of leaving the bunns alone - but bringing them along is...well... not a good idea. The reason why I have no one to look afterthem is because we just recently moved to a small town (where the onlyperson I know is my neighbor, and I don't trust her enough to A) comein my house alone and B) take care of what's most precious to me (asidefrom my son and hubby... lol). All my other friends and family are overan hour away.

My cage is big enough that they can run, jump, play and get a goodamount of exercise in the cage. As for water - I can always supply 3 ormore sources, same thing with food. Technically they'd only go 1 daywith no exercise. Fridays we're home until around 6-7pm then on Sundayswe're usually home by noon - 1pm at the latest. So really... it's onlySaturdays that they'll spend the day completely alone (well, notcompletely... my cats are here to keep them company).

I don't know... to me, I thought it would be fine - but now I'mstarting to think otherwise, and this brings on a whole new set ofworries.

Bringing them camping with us means exposure to heat (my trailor is notair conditioned), letting outside would be hazardous because of my dog(who could hurt them very easily, although not intentionally), not tomention exposure to the west nile virus, what if they escape(I have a 3 year old who just adores them and always wants to let themout to play) - oh so many more things to worry about.... I just don'tknow what to do!

Melissa

I think they should be fine. It's more riskier,in my opinion bringing them. The added stress can really take a toll ona bunny, and I agree with the other points you've made against takingthem.

In the grand scheme of things, going a few days without exercise reallyisn't that important or serious. They probably won't even notice :D. Ithink they'd be just fine left alone for a few days. Just make sure togive them lots of hay, food and water.

If I had to choose between bringing them or leaving them alone for a few days, I would definitely leave them behind.

Breeders many times have to leave their rabbitsalone that long if they're going to a show a distance away. I will beleaving my rabbits (whenever I can get out of here) for at least 36hours to go pick up my new babies....

We use 32 ounce water bottles - fill them just before you leave. Give them extra food and put extra hay in their cage.

They can live that amount of time without the exercise - they can play when youg get back.

I would never ever be gone for a week or even over 72 hours withouthaving someone come in - but I've had to be gone 48 hours before (morethan once) and my rabbits do just fine.

One thing we've found - is that sometimes by taking the times "off" tobe away - refreshes us and when we get back - the rabbits are more of ajoy for us and they have done just fine.

It's the old adage of "If Mama Ain't Happy - Ain't Nobody Happy" - oras the airline stewardesses will say, "If you are traveling with achild and the air masks drop, please give yourself some oxygen firstand then give to your child." (something like that).

You're looking at around 36-40 hours. As long as they're indoors andnot out in the sun and stuff - I'd think they would be just fine.

At least mine have always been....

Peg

You know... that REALLY makes me feel alot better (reading your post). Now I'm not so worried anymore to leavethem alone. I think they will be fine, so long as I leave them enoughfood, and I give them exercise right before I leave and right when Icome home.

Melissa

TinysMom wrote:
Breeders many times haveto leave their rabbits alone that long if they're going to a show adistance away. I will be leaving my rabbits (whenever I can get out ofhere) for at least 36 hours to go pick up my new babies....

We use 32 ounce water bottles - fill them just before you leave. Give them extra food and put extra hay in their cage.

They can live that amount of time without the exercise - they can play when youg get back.

I would never ever be gone for a week or even over 72 hours withouthaving someone come in - but I've had to be gone 48 hours before (morethan once) and my rabbits do just fine.

One thing we've found - is that sometimes by taking the times "off" tobe away - refreshes us and when we get back - the rabbits are more of ajoy for us and they have done just fine.

It's the old adage of "If Mama Ain't Happy - Ain't Nobody Happy" - oras the airline stewardesses will say, "If you are traveling with achild and the air masks drop, please give yourself some oxygen firstand then give to your child." (something like that).

You're looking at around 36-40 hours. As long as they're indoors andnot out in the sun and stuff - I'd think they would be just fine.

At least mine have always been....

Peg

I agree, a day and a half alone, the bunnies should be fine.

Like Peg, as a breeder, I've left mine alone for a weekend before.Right now I'm lucky cause if I'm gone, my roomate is usually home, sothere is always someone around to check on the bunnies.

They will be more comfortable and less stressed in an environment theyare comfortable in. Long trips can stress rabbits that aren't used toit.

If your parents can come by like everyday tocheck up on them then go right ahead and leave em! Im sure nothing isgoing to happen. But ask you parents if they can.. or possibly bringthe bunnies to them so they dont have to go out.

My father lives over an hour away, so thats notabout too happen. For him to drive over 2 1/2 hours just to check up onmy rabbits... HA! Not going to happen.

Melissa

Latest posts

Back