Question about taking antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhucky

Reaction score
1 of my bunny undergo neuter again... And the prescription of baytril for him is .04 ml per day, but 1 resident vet told me to give antibiotics 2x a day...

I'm giving the baytril 2x a day for 2 days now, would it be ok if I give the baytril once a day instead? He doesn't like to be picked up every now then... He Keeps on running away, and I keep chasing him just to have him take his meds on time and then let him go, and then Chase him again to take BeneBac after an hour or 2...

Thank you

Please continue to give the medication the way you were advised to by the vet, for the FULL length of time.
Baytril needs to be given twice a day if that is what the vet has said. It does have a shorter half life then many other medications.

Just give him the probiotics the same time you give the antibiotics, not after. There is no reason to "chase" your bunny that many times.

Playing with medications and changing the dose, frequency, or ending them early can be dangerous. Please listen to the vet that told you to give them twice, and keep giving them, don't stop just because your rabbit "seems" better.

I plan to give full medication to him for a week, his just unlike my 3 other bunnies that would take their medicine without holding them down nor would they run away when I put the syringe in front of them...

My only concern is, instead of taking .02 ml baytril day and night can I change it to .04 ml in a day? And will the full dosage harm him? Or should I go for .03 ml first then slowly increase the dosage daily?

no no no please!
Follow the directions exactly as your vet has stated.
Do not change the dose, do not change the frequency, do not change anything.
Give the correct dose twice a day.

The more you play with it the more likely you are to end up with an antibiotic resistant rabbit and antibiotic resistant bugs.

OK. thank you very much :highfive:

Last question, if we missed 1 medication time, because later today, 6am here, we would attend our aunt's funeral, and we might come home late, will it be like us that if we missed 1 medication time, no need to double the dosage? We don't have anyone to leave them for today...

We give his meds 12 noon and midnight..

5 hours after his last medication is OK? Then maybe 14 - 16 hours after for the 2nd medication would be ok also? We are getting ready to leave the house, my husband still need to fetch and send his parents and mine, as their drivers were all in leave for the holy week. Then traffic were our main problem for coming home early, main roads are blocked for repairs everywhere...

pick whatever is closest.

If meds are due at say.... 6, and you're gone from 4-10. Give the meds before you leave at 4, now if the meds were do at 8, I would give them when I got home at 10.
Whatever is closer.

Thank you so much... really appreciate your fast reply. I'll give his meds now before we leave. :hugsquish:

Latest posts

Back