Question about Sydney (My Netherland Dwarf)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TumpieRabbit

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask a question. I never had a dwarf bunny so I don't know if it is normal for them to lose quite a bit of their topcoat on their back? Is it just normal shedding? He is eating, drinking, binkying, fine. But his coat is changing, lots of hair falling out on his back. I brush him alot to make sure he doesn't ingest it, I also dosed him with revolution just in case it was a microscopic mite or something. What do you think?

Jim

Can't say specifically for dwarfs, but I know that each of my rabbits moults differently.

Bunny moults VERY heavily, and gets almost bald patches on his back. He loses LOADS of fur over a few weeks.

Rose, on the other hand, I haven't even noticed moult since we got her. Sure, the odd few hairs in your hand occasionally, but I've never seen a patch of loose fur, or a line where the fur changes length/density as I have on the others.

Is there any kind of skin irritaion where the fur is coming out? Skin irritaion would lead me to think some kind of mite.. Is it actually bald or just very short underneath?

i never had a dwarf (always wanted one though:p) but I think it's fine. My bunns shed sooooooooooooooo much right about this time, actually all three have just started shedding! :)

No there is no irritation where the haiur comes out, and no it is not bald, just down to expose the dark undercoat. If it was a mite then it will be dead by now because of the revolution, my 2 bunnies just don't shed like this but they are lops so I guess it could just be shedding, I hope so. Thank you for the reply, your exp makes me feel better.

Hey Jim,

I can't believe you have three now, haha!:shock: I think it would be shedding/molting. Just keep an eye on it and let us know. It should start to move, the molt line if you can see one. It should start say upper back and go down or the opposite.

Where have you been anyways? I've missed you-big time!:p

Yes, yes! I do see a line, also there are 2 lines around his eye sockets. Boy does he look raggedy, if rabbits had bums/whinos then that's what he would be classified as right now. How dare he not be perfect in my midst!!!!

Yes I know, I have missed you too. I have been so busy with work and bunny rescue by the time I sit down at night I want to sleep and do nothing else. I am trying to make a point to visit and post on a regular basis, this place is worth it, too many nice people here.

Latest posts

Back