Question About Spaying..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nats

Reaction score
A few months ago I called my vet to see about getting Eliza spayed because I had heard about uterine cancer and behavioral issues with unspayed rabbits. They told me that I did not need to spay her and that they even recommended I didn't, saying that her female parts aren't even active because there are no males around and it would just be more of a risk to get it done. Since then, we have adopted a nuetered, lionhead boy bunny who I was planning to bond her with, sometime down the line.

Should I go ahead and get her spayed by another vet? Or does iteven matter since Isaac(boy bunny) is fixed. :dunno

Her behavior hasn't changed much since we adopted him, besides the extra affection she has been giving me due to whatI think is jealousy. She's never been very aggressive to begin with. Even though I'm scared, I will definitely have her spayed if it is still worth it.Any advice is welcome, the more I learn about buns the more questions pop up. I don't want to move forward with the bonding until I'm more reassuredon what to do..

I would get her spayed. Hormones are present even without males around. Intact females do get hormonal and generally will want to mate. If you are petting her along the body (front to back) and she start to lift her tail, she wants to mate. Intact female can and will hump, spaying will pretty much stop this expect for dominance humping. There is still the risk of cancer in an intact female, this does not really change if there are males around or not.

I would find another vet and get her spayed. Vets who won't even consider spaying really don't know much about rabbits and probably don't have the experience and are trying to cover it up. I don't know what vets would be like in your area, but you may need to travel a bit to find a good vet.

Generally, neutering makes a good bunny better. Also eliminates the single largest cause of death in female rabbits--uterine cancer. The stat is, I believe are 85% in unspayed females at 4 and above. Can't believe a knowledgeable vet would say something like that.

Thanks for the advice! That's what I thought too, but the vet put doubt in my mind. I made an appointment for her spaying at another vet today. I think that will be the best thing for her and our new bun.

Latest posts

Back