Question about Simethicone

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaga

Reaction score
About an hour ago I gave Razzie simethicone. It workedquickly.If it didn't, does anyone know how long to wait before it can be given again? I gave him the contents of one softgel, 180 mg.

Thanks,

Kathy

It's not that much. The dose is supposed to be 100mg/kg of body weight. If he's about 5lb, that's a good dose. We do usually give less than that I think but it should be fine. You can repeat it hourly for 3 hours, but if he's started feeling much better it isn't needed. You can't really overdose on simethicone because it isn't absorbed by the body--it just stays in the ingested food to do its work. It can cause diarrhea if given in really high amounts, though.

I think that's the Ultra Strength dose! Glad to hear it worked, at least if that's what cured him. I've long leaned towards the opinion that most people (myself included) don't give our rabbits large enough doses of simethicone.

I stopped fooling around with the baby stuff and started buying adult versions, which works better, but I'm still inclined to up the dose, and this is making me agree with myself even more. ;)

Simethicone is pretty safe, although I'm still not sure how well it works. It doesn't get rid of the gas, it just reduces the surface tension of gas bubbles so they break up, which supposedly means that little gas bubbles become big gas bubbles making them easier to pass. Its a bit of a mystery to me how a bunny feels better with a big gas bubble over a series of little ones, although yes, it would be easier to pass a lot of gas that way, but not so much with the little bubbles.

Anyhoo, quoting Dana Krempels, "a flatulent bunny is a happy bunny."

Still, I'd only give him another dose if he re-bloats. Simethicone shouldn't be taken for a long period of time. I usually treat once an hour for three hours, four max, then take a 12 hour break.

Hope he's okay.

sas :clover:

I wouldn't do that because the rabbit could then become dependent on it. Then if you run out, he could go into a stasis event.

Latest posts

Back