Question about rabbit behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Dave and I were at a Super Pet today, checkingit out as it's near where we're moving (we don't plan on shopping therehowever, as they don't carry anything we use for our pets). Anyway,they had rabbits out so of course we had to go give them loving.

There was one rabbit there, not sure of the breed, long hair lop, sortof like Sebbie but darker. He had a huge bald patch on the backof his neck and did not look well. Dave noticed that he was sittingwith this front paws in the water bowl, and thought he rememberedreading that this was a bad sign for rabbit health. Is this true?

I feel bad for the rabbit, and of course fell in love with a veryaffectionate baby bunny. However, we're in no position to bring morerabbits in, with the move coming, going to VT and having a baby.

aww the poor baby , the Baldpatchis probably from fighting anddominence issues . I got a jersry wooly in with thesame type of bald spot onher neck , except therewere cuts that went along with it . As for the feetin the water dish I am not too sure whatthat means . Im sure someone who knows will answeryou soon thought Sorry .

Poor baby. Under the baldspots, there might be bites and scars.You just don't know what happens to themas they live in the store until they are sold. Andremember these are unwanted rabbits thatwere culled by breeders, or people who breed for profit.

Rainbows!

aagh, how awful! my little sis bought a rabbitfrom a hugh petstore chain last week, within a couple of days he hadsevere diorreah and dehydration. She took him back to the store wherethey cared for him overnight then said he was well enough to go home sowe collected him! Last night he was really poorly and my sister tookhim to the emergency vets where he went in to a incubator and on adrip! (he looked so sweet with a bandage around his ear) Fortunately heseems to be getting better and will be coming home soon! I don't thinkthat they are cared for properly in those places!

They really aren't cared for properly. That'show we ended up with Valuran. That poor thing was skin and bones -literally - when we saved him. He had been in there all alone for amonth too.

is there a way to report this in your city? Petstoressurely cannot be exempt from charges of animal cruelty.this in particular may not be the case, but if it is, i wonderif reporting it would help?

Nicole

Stephanie wrote:
Dave noticed that he was sitting with this frontpaws in the water bowl, and thought he remembered reading that this wasa bad sign for rabbit health. Is this true?
Young rabbits with mucoid enteropathy will often sit with their front feet in the water dish. Poor thing :(

Pam

I have no idea actually. To us, the rabbit wasclearly not looking well. Maybe if I call my local humane society, theycan lead me in the right direction.

I hope so, i know you feel bad about not beingable to take the little one home, but maybe you still help thatway...you are such a lovely and caring person Steph!

ariel wrote:

That makes sense. Many petstores provide onlygeneric pellets and water. I never see hay at all in thesometimes overcrowded or too small of a cage. Too muchstress, no fibre, sitting in wood shavings mixed in poo andpee would make the healthiest rabbit sick.

Rainbows!

Latest posts

Back