Question about quality of hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheadluv

Reaction score
So Simba, my 13 week old Lionhead, doesn't seem to enjoy hay. I have been very careful with his food: 1/4 cup of pellets and about his body size in hay. I put some in his litterbox too (thankfully, he was as easy as a cat to train!).
He LOVES pellets, but I am doing tough love...only 1/4 cup pellets per day. I give him Oxbow Hay, Timothy, with a block of alfalfa hay (about 1 and 1/2 inch a square) also per day, because he's young. I give him just a small taste of romaine lettuce every other day.
He only eats about 1/2 of the hay per day. His weight is perfect. His teeth are perfect. He eats about half an alfalfa cube per day. He doesn't like hay racks...I've tried 2 kinds...the hay is placed around his cage, and changed daily.
What gives? Is the hay moldy? It's green and smells fresh. Can anyone post pics of moldy hay? His behavior is great.
Thanks! Maybe I'm a new paranoid parent;)

Rabbits tend to not eat all the hay they are given. It's pretty normal, even if it is annoying that they waste it. As long as he is eating it, and not decreasing the amount he eats, he should be fine.

Since he is only 13 weeks, you can give more pellets. Babies are doing a lot of growing, so do need more calories to keep up. Even giving an extra 1/8 of a cup a day could be good without over doing it. He can also have more alfalfa hay if you want to give some.

Agree, I'd up the pellets some at his young age. That's what's giving him the vitamins and minerals he needs to grow. Have you tried other grass hays, or orchard grass? He's eating alfalfa, but as he gets older you'll need to switch. Just try different kinds until you find something else he likes.

I buy small pet select from smallpetselect.com. it surpasses oxbow. One thing I've found that gets our buns to eat more hay is to stuff tp rolls with it hanging out both ends. I put the tube in the litterbox and it always gets eaten. If I just put the hay in, it gets peed on. Haven't figured out the bun reasoning behind this yet, but it works here.

Oh and unlimited pellets til 4 months! Alfalfa hay unless the pellets are alfalfa based.

Ok...I'll up the pellets, and try orchard grass. My daughter tried the toilet paper roll stuffed with hay, but no luck.

How much veggies(safe dark leafy) is ok to give at his age? I've been careful to not overwhelm his tummy. His pooping is consistent, and I've been giving him a half leaf of romaine every other day.

And, how do you know if hay is moldy? Is obvious?

Latest posts

Back