Question about protein content in bunny food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
i've been doing some research on rabbit food and i know that the food i use is good. my bun is about 3.5 lbs and eats about a 1/4 cup of Big Red Rabbits Choice per day.
She is also 3 years old so she should just be on maintenance food.

my question is what nutritional information should i be looking at to make sure
she isnt getting too much of anything. This food has a 15% protein content and i noticed that Oxbow Bunny Basics T is a 14% protein content. And what is the difference between bunny basics t and the 15/23 pellets.

I think Bunny Basics replaced 15/23.

According to Rabbit Nutrition ..., adult, non-lactating rabbits should have 12-16% protein in their diets UNLESS they are long-haired or giants. For them it's 17-20%. That's overall in the diet, not just the pellet component.

BB/T is a timothy hay based pellet, it is made for adult rabbits. The 15/23 is alfalfa based and made for young rabbits to those who need a bit more protein.

Most adult rabbits don't need a ton of protein 14-16% is usually good. Some rabbits may need more due to their size, coat type, energy level or an illness where they need to put on some weight.

thanks for the reply. I feel better about the 16% Big Red Rabbits Choice that i am feeding my mocha. :D

Back