question about pasteurella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enslaved

Reaction score
If my little one has pasteurella. Its not possible to get her a friend without infecting the new bunny? Thanks!!!

It's not advised to expose another rabbit to oneinfected with a virulent strain of Pasteurella. Pasteurellais most easily spread through direct contact, but can be spreadthroughout the area by sneezing.

Pam

I wouldn't, enslaved.

Even though the antibiotics keep the symptoms at bay, the bacteriastill remains in the background. It'd be too risky for another rabbit.

-Carolyn

Pasteurella doesn't 'go away' its not a treatableillness. You can treat the symptoms but not the illness itself. Oncethe symptoms have been treated, they are still carriers and will passit on to other rabbits. (In most cases)

Amanda

There is a few different signs of pasteurella. Ifyou rabbit ever starts sneezing with some leakage from the nose... ordevelpes any bumps or abcesses.. But unless that happens I would not beworried

Cinnabun wrote:
ohh okay.. what are the signs to it?

Hi Cinnabun,

This was what I wrote in enslaved in her previous post about pasteurella.

Greetings enslaved,

Total elimination of the Pasteurella, especially the rhinitis,infection is difficult, if not impossible. The bacteria lies asequestered pus in the labyrinthine nasal passages and are isolatedfrom antibiotics. Antibiotics can suppress the nasal discharge, but thebacteria will usually remain and repopulate when the antibiotictreatment is stopped.

Be careful of the vet who diagnoses Pasteurella without doing aculture/sensitivity test. With this test, the vet can determine whatpathogen is causing the infection and provide the antibiotics needed.Different strains (i.e., Bordatela brochiseptica, Streptococcus, etc.)would call for different antibiotics, but they're often misdiagnosed asPasteurella because the symptoms parallel.

I'll be thinking and praying for you and your little one.

-Carolyn

Here'ssome information you might find interesting.

[size=+1]Symptoms[/size]
[size=+1]Symptoms depend on the strength (virulence) of the specificPasteurella strain involved, which body organ(s) are involved and howlong the disease is present. One of the most common symptoms isrespiratory, usually manifested as a nasal discharge. When a rabbitwipes its front paws on its nose to remove the discharge the hair onthe legs becomes matted. These are the symptoms that lead to thelaymen's name for this disease, snuffles. [/size]

[size=+1]Sometimes the nasal discharge is so chronic that the fur is actually missing. [/size]​
[size=+1]
dc.jpg
[/size]
[size=+1]

[/size]

[size=+1]Other respiratory signs of Pasteurella include sneezing,congestion, and conjunctivitis. The tear ducts (lacrimal ducts) canbecome clogged with dried discharge, causing excess tearing andsubsequent scalding of the skin around the eyes andface.[/size]

[size=+1]This is an example of how we flush the tear duct. They eye hasbeen given a local anesthetic, and we are using a catheter to gentlyflush a saline solution into the tear duct.[/size]​
[size=+1]
flush4951.jpg
[/size]
[size=+1]

[/size]

[size=+1]In some cases Pasteurella can localize in the eyeand cause complete loss of function. This eye has to be removed, sincethe rabbit cannot see, and it is painful. The white area in the centerof the eye is the infection.[/size]​
eyepasteurella.jpg

[size=+1]

[/size]

[size=+1]In addition to the respiratory tract, the bacteria can alsoinfect the reproductive tract, the sinuses, the eyes, the ears, and theinternal organs. It sometimes causes abscesses under the skin. Theseabscesses can become chronic and require surgery to correct. Severecases can cause central nervous system symptoms like oscillations ofthe eyes (nystagmus), circling to one side, and severe tilting (wryneck or torticollis) of the head.[/size]

[size=+1]This rabbit has a neurologic problem from Pasteurella.[/size]
[size=+1]
headtilt.jpg
[/size]

[size=+1]Rabbits with ear infections might paw at the ears and thosewith internal organ infections might have poor appetites and loseweight. If the reproductive tract is infected discharge is commonlynoted.[/size]

[size=+1][/size]

hey Carolyn thats some great information couldyou tell me where you got it at least give some info so that I canprint it off and give it to others.... It is the best and clearest wayI have seen it... And thanks for posting it.

Oh I was looking for like copywrite info... Thanks

I can't recall the name of the website I copiedthe pictures and explanation from under where I signed my name,showrabbits. So glad you found it helpful.

When I have time, I'll try to find it again.

-Carolyn

Would it be possible to rescue another rabbit with the same type of pasturella as a companion?

I don't know about how feasible that is, it's just something thatoccurred to me as it's similar to what I've done/do with cats. It maybe impossible in rabbits or too much work/vet care, but just thoughtI'd throw it in as an idea.

Kate

Rowan wrote:
Wouldit be possible to rescue another rabbit with the same type ofpasturella as a companion?

I don't know about how feasible that is, it's just something thatoccurred to me as it's similar to what I've done/do with cats. It maybe impossible in rabbits or too much work/vet care, but just thoughtI'd throw it in as an idea.

Kate

Most labs can't identify the individual strains of pasteurella, so it's not a practical option.

Pam

If the bunny is lonely what about bonding herwith another animal? Would the pasturella pass from differentspecies??? I was just thinking that well trained cats andbunnies can have a lot in common or even a guinea pig if she is aneasygoing rabbit. I know it's not recommended for guineas andbuns to live together but in some individuals there are exceptions tothe rule

RebeccaUK wrote:
If the bunny is lonely what about bonding her with anotheranimal? Would the pasturella pass from differentspecies??? I was just thinking that well trained cats andbunnies can have a lot in common or even a guinea pig if she is aneasygoing rabbit. I know it's not recommended for guineas andbuns to live together but in some individuals there are exceptions tothe rule

The pathogens rabbits carry can be fatal to Guinea Pigs, so that ismost certainly not a good mix. Rabbits can also spreadPasteurella to other speciesthrough bite wounds, so I thinkit's better to forgo the attempts to bond the sick rabbit with anotheranimal and provide human companionship instead.

Pam

Latest posts

Back