Question about nails that aren't straight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
When I was clipping the buns nails this weekend Inoticed that two of Fergi's nails are splayed to the outside. Actuallyit is more like the whole digit (not sure what toe's would be called ona rabbit:p).

When I clip these nails she seems to tense up more as she does when Iam handling them, since I have to turn the whole digit straight to clipit. I would say she finds it moderately discomforting.

Any ideas on why her "digits" are like this. I know that I have noticedit since she was small but it seems a lot more pronounced now. Anythoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Fergi's mom

Is it the "pinkie finger?" (distalphalange). I've often seen these turned out. Insome cases, it appears to be due to long toenail growth, but it canalso be due to a break. The distal phalanges are the mostlikely to get caught on something (such as cage wire) and are moreprone to breakage.

Pam

Thanks Lanna and Pam.

It is the distal phalange (thanks for clearing up what they are calledPam). She must have broken them at some point because I have alwaysclipped nails every 4 weeks so her nails have never been all that long.

Is there anything I should do for this problem or is it something she will just live with?

Fergi's mom

There is really nothing you can do at thispoint. I wonder if wire flooring when the kits are littlecontributes to this problem? I've frequently seen it in DwarfHotots (in these cases, the metacarpals weren't broken).

Pam

That is possible. I got her at a state fair and Iknew NOTHING about bunnies at that time so it is quite possible she hadbroken them before I got her. She lives on solid floor in my home so itcouldn't have happened here that way.

Thanks again for the help! She seems to move around just fine but Iwill have the vet take a look when she goes in for her annual check up.

Fergi's mom

The toes can get bitten off by the mother whenshe is cleaning off the babies after giving birth. I've alsoseen toes get caught under the metal cage dividers and ripped off.

Pam

lanna21974 wrote:
Fergi's Mom...I'veheard that once you break a boneor have an injury to bone that you still have aches and pains. Maybethat's why it was/is uncomfortable to have the digits moved forclipping? Just a thought. Let us know what the vet says.

Lanna

Most certainly old injuries can be painful. I stillhave problems with my hip from a fall about 15 years ago. (Although mydistal phalange has been broken a couple times and doesn't bother me atall).

Pam

Latest posts

Back