Question about my Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tx_BunnyMoM

Reaction score
I have a Male Dwarf Hotot that it looks like he might have a little eye infection going on I just noticed it today he has pulled the hair out around the inside corner of his eye and it has been watering. I do not see any puss or bad stuff comming out of it just wateringwhat can I do for him with out taking him to the vet as I do not have the money right now and no vet is open untill Monday. Thanks any info would be great. He is not close to any other rabbits so I do not think it will get them when I do hold him or touch him I wash my hands before I touch the other rabbits I have never had any of my Rabbits have this something new.

Thanks for any info

Shawnda :bunnydance:

Here's some info from The House Rabbit Society:

Tearing and Runny Eyes
Rabbits have a number of problems involving their eyes, the most commonof which is tearing or discharge from the eye which we call "epiphora."

Epiphora is a symptom, not a disease in itself, a sign that therabbit's eye is not able to drain tears. Most often epiphora is seenwhen the drainage system is not working correctly, typically when thetear duct is blocked by debris, such as mucous from the tears, or bydischarge and swelling caused by infection in the duct.

Less commonly, epiphora occurs when too many tears are produced for the system to handle (as when a person cries).

The rabbit's tears drain from the eye through a single opening in thelower eyelid called a punctum or plural puncta, located in the medial(nose) side of the eye, nestled in an indentation in the lacrimal bone.The upper portion of this duct forms a funnel-shaped chamber called thelacrimal sac. The lacrimal sac collects tears and directs them down thecurving course of the lacrimal or tear duct, through the bones of therabbit's skull.

There are two locations where the duct narrows or flattens: at themaxilla bone the diameter narrows, and as it passes over the roots ofthe upper incisor teeth the duct is significantly flattened. The ductopens at a nasal punctum, depositing tears just inside the nostril.

The narrow and small diameter sections of the duct may become cloggedwith normal mucous discharges from the eye or debris that hasaccumulated in the eye. Other causes may include trauma to the lacrimalor maxillary bones of the face and impaction or abscesses of the upperincisor teeth which further constricts the lacrimal duct.

Disease of the lacrimal sac and duct is called dacryocystitis.Dacryocystitis is most often secondary to bacterial infectionsoccurring within the duct. Surprisingly, most of these rabbits do nothave infections of their eyes. Pasteurella multocida bacteria is themost common cause (making dacryocystitis part of the "snuffles complex"of upper respiratory disease seen in the rabbit). Staphylococcus sp.and Streptococcus sp. are also commonly found.

Diagnosis of dacryocystitis is based on clinical signs, cultures of thelacrimal duct and on cultures and cytology (microscopic examination) ofmaterial flushed from the duct. Radiographs (X-rays) of the rabbit'steeth and facial bones may also be indicated.
The importance of performing diagnostic tests varies with the severityof the case. A rabbit who has no prior history of tearing problems andhas no pain, swelling or redness of its eye or area over the lacrimalsac, and no signs of infection of its eye, very often will respond toflushing of the lacrimal duct and topical medications. Rabbits with ahistory of repeated problems with tearing should have a more thoroughset of diagnostic tests performed.

Treatment of dacryocystitis is aimed at opening the lacrimal duct andcorrection the underlying cause. Typically this includes both oral andtopical antibiotics (eye ointment or drops). If the eye is infected,that problem must be addressed as well. Rabbits with dacryocystitisoften have tear scald (much like diaper rash) caused by tear drainingonto their face. Correction of the tearing helps to correct thisproblem. However, many rabbits will benefit from shaving the hair overthe affected area and application of a topical medication to reduce theinflammation and aid in healing.

It is difficult to correct dacryocystitis in rabbits with underlyingchanges of their facial bones and/or abscesses of their cheek teeth.Palliative measures may need to be initiated to make the situationbearable during the long course of treatment to correct the problem or,in some cases, for the rest of the rabbit's life. These may includetreatments aimed at preventing tear scalding of the face or evenmedications or surgery to reduce the amount of tears the eye produces.

I would highly suggest a vet visit when you can afford it (but I cansympathize, as I know what it's like to have a sick animal and no fundsfor the vet), as the cause could be from many different things. In themeantime you could try bathing the corner of the eye with a mildsolution and continue isolating him, as well as continue handling yourother rabbits before touching him, and washing your hands well afterhandling him, at least until you know the cause. Hopefully it is simplyan irritant, or a blockage in the eye duct. :)

Aww, poor sweetie. I've read about this in theforums, and I highly, and many may others here, reccomendcontacing/going to the vet as soon as you can. Keep us updated! :)

Another milder possibility is--if short-livedsymptoms--a scratched eye. Some of my klutzier critters often tearedupin one eye, usually because of getting poked with hay orsomething.

Rose

My bun has the same problem (as you can see inthe picture to the left) The best thing you can do is take sowarm water (not hot), asoft face cloth and go backand forth (in the direction the hair grows). A Paper towel ortissue does not cut it except for after (when you dry the hairoff). If you do this once (if not twice, which is best) adayyour bun well thank you:). When you go into thevets ask about flushing out the tear ducts. My bun loves it when Iclean her eyes and it gets rid of the build up and aggravation ofhaving wet skin.

rabbitgirl wrote:
Another milder possibility is--if short-lived symptoms--a scratched eye. Some of my klutzier critters often teared upin one eye, usually because of getting poked with hay or something.

Rose
That's our Benji! Boing...boing...POKE!! Poor guy.

Right now I'm having to keep a close eye on jim becauce of a runny eye. I just noticed it the other day when we were cleaning cages. He had a big glob of white goop in the corner of one eye. And he was fine the night before.

I use sterile saline and gauze pads to clean eyes. Since Saturday I've had to clean him up about 4 -5 times. It was real crusty on the second morning of cleaning, but at the cleaning last night his eye looked a whole lot better. And it's just the one eye. No nasal discharge. Thismorning it was a bit runny (clear liquid), but looked pretty good.

Looks like we'll be going to the vet if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

~Jim

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I took him to the Vet on Monday and the vet said he had a Scratched eye from the hay so he gave me some eye drops and he is doing better a lot happer and his eye is not wartering anymore. AlsoIhave done a lot of updating on my web site so if you would like to look at allthe new stuff http://www.angelfire.com/sk/shawndashomepage

Thanks agin for all the info

Shawnda :bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back