Question about lop bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossombunny

Reaction score
I was just curious, we have a holland lop andsomeone I know has a mini lop, but our holland is MUCH smaller thanthier mini lop. Someone told me that when refering to lopswhen they say mini lops they are actually refering to the size of theears not the actually bunny, is that true? So what is thesize order of lops? Holland, Minis, English, and thenFrench? Or is mini lop not an actual type of lop? Iwas just wondering! Tracy

I've also heard that mini just refers to the sizeof their ears. Makes sense, seeing as my Peanut isa"mini-lop", but is easily 6 or 7 pounds. I know she's crossed withsomething, but I don't know what. She has partial control of her ears,a big frame and huge feet, and tons and tons of thick fur.

But anyway, yes, I had heard that and am also curious how they are ranked among lops.

i dont know but isnt it cute how ifu look at them right.. looks like they are going to fly with their ears. :)

Cristy

I found online that mini lops should be 4 1/2 to6 1/2 pounds and holland lops less than 4 pounds...Pamnock can verifythe holland lop. It seems that the holland is smaller thanthe mini

there is a mini lop rabbit club of america...it is a separate breed ofrabbit that comes from the kleine widder in Germany.www.minloprabbit.com

my ella is a mini lop...i'm not sure if she is full breed or a mutt though.

My lop is about 7 lbs. thats how much he weighed in at the shelter. dont know about now.

Cristy

The recognized breeds of lops in the United States are:

American Fuzzy Lop - wooled lop weighing under under 4 pounds (I judgedan American Fuzzy Lop show yesterday -- there were some very nice ones!)

Holland Lop - shouldweigh under 4 pounds

Mini Lop - average 6 pounds

French Lop - massive breed weighing over 10 pounds. One of my favorite breeds to judge.

English Lop - known for their extraordinary ear length span of over 21inches! They are a large breed weighing over 10 pounds.

The "Velveteen Lop" is similar to the English Lop, except that it has rex fur. It is not an accepted breed in the US.

Pam

the closest roger cause to those is the mini lop.I think the shelter said 7 lbs but if i remember right Luv was 7 lbsand she looks bigger than him. I dont have a scaleanymore.

Cristy

I wish I knew what cross Peanut is. She's definately got some unique characteristics :D

Mini lops are an older breed than holland lops.when they first started being showable in the us the minilop had beenthe smallest lop.mini was smaller than french.many people switched fromminis to hollands because they were smaller.I started out with ministhen went to hollands when they became showable.bluebird

Sometimes i forget everybody here is not from theUS ,holland lops are alsogerman lops and i believethey are called minilops in some countrys they couldnt call them minishere when we already had minis. we had this discussion on another boarda while ago.bluebird

The British Rabbit Council (BRC) accepts a number of lop ear breeds including:

Cashmere Lop: Wooled breedslightly larger thanour American Fuzzy Lop

Mini Cashmere Lop: wooledbreed slightlysmaller than our American Fuzzy Lop

Dwarf Lop: slightlylarger than our Holland Lop

Miniature Lop: slightly smaller than our Holland Lop

German Lop: similar to our Mini Lop

Meissner Lop: Larger than our Mini Lop, but smaller than our French Lop

English Lop: similar to our English Lop

French Lop: similar to our French Lop

The Netherland Dwarf Lop in some countries is similar to our Holland Lop

http://www.rabbits.au.com/page4.html

Latest posts