Question about labour in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I was just wondering when cinabun goes intolabour is she going to display any kind of odd behavior or bodylanguage?? im curious because i've never seen a rabbit give birthbefore! do they actually push the babies out or do they pull them out???????

Some will put on a very dramatic production,others are very quiet. They may or may not go off theirfeed. Most does will pull hair and build a nest shortlybefore -- others don't nest until after the litter is born.

The bunnies are pushed out, although they may chew on the babies is thelabor is difficult and the babies are not quickly passed out of thebirth canal.

If you are lucky enough to catch mom in the act, you may here herquietly clucking as she's giving birth. She will normally behunched over as she cleans off the babies and eats the after births(and hopefully not the babies).

Pam

Wow, I hope I can catch her in the act! what abeautiful thing to witness! she's currently laying down in her nestwith her ears perked right up like a happy bunny!

Max did a mad thumping and gathering of hay andfur just before she had hers. I was lying in bed thinkingthat I should get up (it was 10am on a Sunday!) when it all went quietand all I could hear was her as Pam says 'clucking' kind of, it wasMax's 'I'm peed off' noise but gentler. There was the reallyhorrible noise of all the fluid and squelching is the only way I candescribe it! LOL About 10 mins later, everythingwas quiet again and Max came through into the caged bit of her hutchwith blood on her nose. I didn't want to open her hutchwhilst she was giving birth in case I frightened her or stressed herout in any way, so I left it and just listened. It'swonderful to see little kits just minutes after they're born!:D Good luck with her! Lets hope the kits come soon!

Ang xx

I have no idea whats happening, she's huge butshe hasn't had the kits yet and she's nearing the 35 day mark! Imgetting worried here!!!!! she pulled some more fur out today while shewas under my bed!!

Have you palpated her yet? If you haven't, Iwould do so. Or rather if you are palpating illiterate as I am, I wouldtake her to the vet just to make sure there are not stuck kits in there.

~Nichole

Don't feel bad, I can't figure out how to palpateproperly either. I had two people show me, and I have read severalbooks.. but I can't seem to get it down. I think going to the vet willbe your best bet.

For you and your buns sake, I hope she has them soon! :)

~Nichole

It helps to practice not only on rabbits that youthink are pregnant, but also on rabbits that you know are not (yes, youcan even practice on boys LOL). The way, you get the feel ofwhat the non-pregnant state can feel like, so you can more easilydetermine what feels "different" when a doe is pregnant. 14days is the easiest time to determine pregnancy as the fetus have aclassic "grape" shape and feel that is easy to distinguish.

Pam

Hope she ends up ok. Has she made a nest oranything? Any other indications that she is pregnant? Have you triedpalpating? At this point you should even be able to see the babiesmoving around in there when she lays on her side. Keeping my fingerscrossed for you.

Lanna

She's already made her nest, and she's veryirritable and very huge!! as far as seeing anything move its hard totell !!!! when i feel her tummy it feel soft and big !!

Latest posts

Back