Question About Kleenmama's 3rd Cut Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklyyy

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been feeding my buns Oxbow's Timothy Hay. For a while, I had been thinking about switching to a less odorous, less dusty hay. After reading glowing reviews of Kleenmama's Hayloft and Sweet Meadow Farm, I'm going to make the switch! :) I'm going to start with Kleenmama's Hayloft. From what I've read, it seems like the 3rd cut hay is a big hit with many of your buns! My bunnies are NOT picky eaters so I'm not worried about whether or not they'll eat it (as far as they're concerned, if it's shreddable, it's edible :p). My only question is: Is it all right for the buns' hay supply to be entirely comprised of 3rd cut? Will they occasionally need something rougher to keep their digestive tracts in order?

Thanks!

I love KM's 3rd cut. Last year's batch was a huge hit and I just ordered 45 lbs. of this years, but haven't received it yet. I'll be happy to post a review when I do.

I only have one type of hay around at a time. My buns have done very well on only 3rd cut.

Hi! Thanks for your response. I look forward to reading your review of the 3rd cut hay.

Anyone else have ideas about whether solely feeding super soft hay provides acceptable roughage? :)

Anyone else? :) I would love to read a few more comments re: "roughage" before I place an order. I'm debating whether to go for all 3rd cut or a mix of 3rd cut and 2nd cut. Thanks!

If you're concerned about the rough-ness of the 3rd cut, you could add other types of hay that are coarser, such as oat hay, to their mix. I buy from Oxbow because I can get it locally w/o the shipping costs and my bf is allergic to horse hay. They don't specify which cut their hay is, so I can't say I've ever fed 3rd cut hay. Since Patti has had good luck with it, and she takes care of a good variety of bunnies at any one time (her own + fosters), I'm sure 3rd cut is good.

I can't comment about the 3rd cut as I've never fed it and am waiting for my very first shipment but since it is so much softer, I am inclined to supplment it with Kleenmama's bluegrass to ensure that Kirby has something harder to chew on and wear down his teeth properly. I have fed their bluegrass and it's lovely - very "chewy" but stiff enough to provide bite, and long enough to provide good gut movement when the bunny nomnomnom's it into their system.

I bought myself a 30 lb box of half 3rd cut and half bluegrass - I have no doubt the 3rd cut is going to be a hit because her 2nd cut was gobbled up here, but coupling it with bluegrass makes me more confident that they are getting what they need in terms of teeth and gut health.

Boxes of KMS 3rd cut arrived on Tuesday. I'm not sure if Linda returns to each field-producer year after year? This year's crop has a slightly different fragrance, and it is un-usually soft and vibrant green. We ordered 2nd cut prior to the 3rd cut delivery. Her 2nd cut has tougher sections, alternating w/ flakes of softer texture. I prefer to mix 2nd and 3rd cut, and mix KMS with baled orchard grass hay from a friend. To provide texture variety!

I do wonder if the softness of 3rd cut will be less effective in pushing out hair and keeping the gut system in tip-top order.

Or getting our tooth-issue buns to vigorously "work" the molars!?!

OTOH, 3rd cut is much appreciated for the disabled girls and their limbs (especially when Karla has a case of urine scald on her butt). Do your hands dry out in wintertime, crack and bleed? Third cut saves on ouchies. The 2nd cut boxes had numerous "sturdy" hay shafts that jabbed into my fingers, and various fibrous fan-like strands I've not seen in previous years.
I love KMS' hay and will continue to order! :)

Downfall this year is the newer sized 45# boxes. Linda had easier-to-handle 45# boxes last year, and the hay flakes were compacted so dang TIGHT in the smaller dimension boxes. ... prompting ... "Karl, I can't get the #%&@ flakes outta the box!!"
These new boxes I don't care for, yet the hay is easier to withdraw.
^ added for anyone who orders in quantity. ^

I just wonder about the slightly different fragrance? Or is it my sniffer?!

Sorry for the lengthy persnickety report. Hope this helps. Hope you'll enjoy the great hay texture and terrific service from KMS. She goes above and beyond in many ways. Our crew would be "out" of terrific hay if she ever stopped taking orders.

Yes, Less Dusty !!

There should be a variety of different hays offered. Makes for a more natural foraging type behavior and it keeps the teeth worn properly. Different textures of hay require different chewing mechanisms and that makes for a better wear pattern on the teeth.

Kleenmama's hay never disappoints....whatever the type.

Randy

We got Kleenmama's 3rd cut earlier this year, and both bunnies liked it. We haven't had any digestion upsets yet, regardless of the hay we've provided. We ran out of Kleenmama's quickly because we only bought a 5 pound box, and by the time we wanted to order again they didn't have anymore third cut. So we went back to second cut timothy from Farmer Dave and the bunnies like it just as well.

If your rabbits aren't picky and you want to offer a variety, Kleenmama's 2nd cut hay from this year is also lovely and I've ordered the blue grass from them as well and it has looked good. My picky eater really only likes the 3rd cut. None of the Kleenmama hay is ever dusty. It is the most beautiful hay I've ever seen.

Thank you again so much to everyone for the very helpful replies. I sincerely appreciate it! I'm going to place an order for some of Kleenmama's hay. I will definitely be getting some of the third cut, and I'll throw in some of the second cut, too, so the buns have a bit of a variety.

Hint: When KMS indicates they're getting low of 3rd cut (like in Jan/Feb or March, or however fast Linda goes through her supply), pre-order for the Out of Stock months.

Enjoy!

:big kiss::running bunny:weee::clapping:

slavetoabunny wrote:
I just got my 45 lbs. of 3rd cut - it's so good I want to eat it myself!!!
:laugh:

Too funny!

Sounds good to me (buying the hay for the bunnies; not eating it myself -- but, hey, if you say it's THAT good...). He he! Thanks so much for posting a review. I'm heading over to her Web site to place an order!

My 3rd cut is scheduled to get here sometime today! I only got 10 lbs though. I've never gotten their 3rd cut before, if the bunnies really enjoy it I'll probably order another 45 lb box of it.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I just got my 45 lbs. of 3rd cut - it's so good I want to eat it myself!!!
This reminds me of yesterday when I was eating a roll in the dining hall, sniffed it and said, "smells like distiller's grain."
My friends who are not animal science majors gave me a weird look until I explained that it was one of the concentrates we had to learn/ identify for my animal nutrition class and that we were encouraged to smell it and corn gluten feed in order to tell the two apart.
Then they gave me weirder looks.

Latest posts

Back