Question about keeping rabbitry records

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashiahouse

Reaction score
I was just wondering what kind of system you all use to keep track of litters, health, weight, things like that? I downloaded a free trial of Evans Rabbit Register Software, and loved it, but now the free trial is up, and I just thought I would research other ways of keeping records before shelling out the $80 a year for the software.

I just use paper methods of record keeping. I find Evans Software and others like it too difficult and time consuming to record everything down in.

I keep records of my litters on pre-made sheets that come from my 4-H Extension Office, and I get sheets for finances from my 4-H office as well.

I don't really use any methods of keeping track of weights - although I do have a section in my rabbitry binder, and everytime I'm around a scale, I record the rabbits' name, date weighed, and their weight. So I get a rough estimate of how much they weigh between shows, and depending on that, I either lower or raise the amount of feed.

For pedigrees, I have a blank pedigree book from ARBA, which I use for my kits, and I keep all my pedigrees in my rabbitry binder which is divided up in sections like Pedigrees, Show Result Papers, Weights, Show Entries, Show Remark Cards, and other things like that. ;)

Emily

Evans is by far the most popular program and well worth the money. The tech support is outstanding. I've been using the program for 15 years. Very easy to enter data and to keep records. The program has some fantastic features!

I love Evans but I thought it was a one-time purchase.

Their support is awesome - I've had to use it a couple of times when my computer crashed.

Edited to add: I am moving this to the rabbitry where more breeders will see it.

I have a binder and try to keep it as up to date as possible, but with my work, school, and rabbit owning schedule it gets hard. It was much easier to check Evans each day when I came in to see if I had any "tasks" for the day that I had forgotten about. I also loved how it gave you the option to add comments, photos, and any extra information. I'll more than likely just go ahead and buy it. I didn't really pay much attention as to if it were a one time price or a yearly price, I just assumed yearly..but if it's one time, that's great! haha

Those of you that use printable pedigrees, where do you find them? I ordered pedigree sheets a while back, and I'm low on them and can't remember where I ordered them from. =/

I've seen them around on random websites, but I don't like the way I've seen them set up. I like for them to have places for the weight and things instead of just a name and date of birth.

I use Evans. It is a one time fee, so it's like $80 for the program, but well well worth it.

I keep all my records on the computer, as well as on paper. I have had my entire Evans program lost before... I really sucked to have to go back and reenter all the pedigrees, but I was able too, because I have paper copies of everyone.

I print my pedigrees off of Evans. I have a nice binder, that I keep all my breeding records, show records, and pedigrees in. As well as all my membership cards. This binder goes with me every time I go to a show, so I always have my ARBA card with me to get my animals registered.

I highly suggest keeping paper records as well as computer records. That way, should technology fail, you have a hard copy.

I agree though, Evans has the BEST technical support. When I lost everything a year or so ago, he helped me get it back. :D

I've been using Evans for over 12 years... I agree with everything every one already said. Evans gives you room on each animals information page to note any additional information you need to... weights at certain ages, growth rates, Health issues, color comments, furnotes, etc. Plus seperate pages to note breeding info, kindling data, litter info, etc. (SO easy to produce pedigrees for litters!)

I keep a binder for each breed, with printed pedigrees, leg certificates, Grand Champion Certificatesand Registration information. (Yup! Goes to every show with me!)

Breedings are logged onto a clipboard I have hanging in the barn.(Info that I tansfer to Evans for backup). I also use cage cards to note breeding dates and expected kindling dates.

I have found that Kintrax works wonders. It allows me to keep track of my animals as well as design and print my pedigrees. You are allowed to set the guidelines for how long your breeds gestation is, and how often you want to rebreed, and the system will send up notes on when to put in your nestbox, when to wean, when to rebreed, and stuff like that. Now in addition to that I have a binder where I keep all my information, written system for ear numbering, pedigrees, death records, birth records and the like, as well as printed calendars for the next couple of months.

Since I have two small kids, both with challenges (7 yr old duaghter had adhd/ocd/odd/bi-polar and 5 yr old son had autism/adhd), as well as attend school full time (online college) my days are fairly crazy. I keep a huge dry erase board near my front door which I have turned into a calander as well. I use different colors to mark of events such as b-days, annivs. ect, appointments, school deadlines, rabbit buisness, and anything else I need to remember. It sounds like alot but with the big calender I can keep everything straight. Good luck.:)

tashiahouse wrote:
haha, me too. I used Evans for the full trial, then I've used 10 different others..and I can't stop thinking about how great Evans is.
I have to tell you that after having computers crashed two or three time and dealing with Evans each time to help restore my stuff - and update the program, etc. - THEY ROCK.

Their customer service is fantastic...the last time I called - the guy and I chatted for about 5 minutes about the weather, etc. while he got my information for me.

I love the genetic predictions I can get in Evans and I think it is one of the best I've ever used....even if I had to pay for it (and I paid for the deluxe).

mewlingcricket wrote:
I have found that Kintrax works wonders. It allows me to keep track of my animals as well as design and print my pedigrees. You are allowed to set the guidelines for how long your breeds gestation is, and how often you want to rebreed, and the system will send up notes on when to put in your nestbox, when to wean, when to rebreed, and stuff like that. Now in addition to that I have a binder where I keep all my information, written system for ear numbering, pedigrees, death records, birth records and the like, as well as printed calendars for the next couple of months.

Since I have two small kids, both with challenges (7 yr old duaghter had adhd/ocd/odd/bi-polar and 5 yr old son had autism/adhd), as well as attend school full time (online college) my days are fairly crazy. I keep a huge dry erase board near my front door which I have turned into a calander as well. I use different colors to mark of events such as b-days, annivs. ect, appointments, school deadlines, rabbit buisness, and anything else I need to remember. It sounds like alot but with the big calender I can keep everything straight. Good luck.:)
link???

Latest posts

Back