Question about housing rabbits outdoors during UK winter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppybun

Reaction score
Hello.
So, for Xmas I really wanted a bunny. I am young but VERY knowledgable about them. I happened to see a text between my parents about buying my two new bunnies. 😬😬😀😀 I am VERY nervous and excited but they still don't know that I know.i wonder how I will react..... Anyway, we already have a hutch that we were going to use for my tortoise (another story) and its MASSIVE. I presume we are going to use that one. It's much to big to be kept inside. I live in England and we are in the midst of a warmish Winter. We have a garage with no fuel or cars in it but its not attached to our house and its very dark. I don't know how to house my two bunnies for the last few months of Winter.... HELP!!!

It depends on where they have been living before you get them. If they have been living indoors in the warmth, they will find it very hard to adjust to suddenly finding themselves outside in the middle of winter. You may then want to keep them indoors in a bathroom or laundry room until it gets warmer. If they have been living outdoors in a hutch, then it is fine to keep them in your hutch.

Just make sure that the hutch has a well-insulated interior that is not drafty. Bunnies can get used to fairly cold temperatures but they do not like drafts - that's why they live in burrows! You can put some fleece in the hutch for extra warmth if you're worried, especially if they are very young.

Thank you. This is very exciting. I think they're in the shed outside right now and I can't bear being sooooo close to them without being to give them a big hug. Thank you.

I keep our 2 buns outside and they love it. I don't think they mind the cold at all. We do give them their snuggle pads just in case, but whenever I go to see them they're sat out in the cold. Just remember the check their water bottle regularly as ours are freezing.

Back