Question about Dwarf Hotots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
I don't have a dwarf Hotot, but I have heard people saying on here that they are particularly prone to gastrointestinal problems.

I was just curious, what exactly *are* these gastroinsestinal problems? Is it related to the genes that give them their particular coloring/patterns? (I know in hamsters there are problems like that.)

What about other dwarfs (Netherland Dwarfs, etc.)? That's something I've wondered for quite a long time. I know that the dwarf horses tend to be very colicky, because everything has been "downsized" so much (I believe one of the more common problems is a small pylorus.) Part of why I'm asking is because we think Erik has a smaller pylorus than what would be ideal hence why he has problems (he's always had problems with his stomach/getting things out of his stomach.)

Any help would be nice!

Ohh intresting topic Ivory I have been curius about this myself. It is like the teeth issues with dwarf rabbits.

Well I know that the teeth issues are due to the shortening of the skull (if I remember correctly malocclusion doesn't happen very often in the European wild rabbits). There could be more to that, though.

Hallo, Ivory!

You know I'm the mom of a dwarf hotot prone to GI problems, as we've discussed this in the past.

Herebelow, you'll find the 2 only articles I've managed to find in the internet about the megacolon syndrome, so, being a vet student, you'll understand better than me the gene issue (En-En) responsible for the intestinal sensitivity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8822192?dopt=Abstract

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Differential/mega_differential.htm

The GI problems are that these buns are genetically predesposed to GI stasis as well as the opposite, i.e. diarrhea. In simple, non-expert words, the lining of their intestines is less than in other breeds, which results in less contractions, less movement of the intestines, which leads to slow down, which leads to GI stasis problems. Also, having a bigger colon, makes them produce big, ubnormal poops, which are more difficult to move through their intestinal canal.

Marietta

The condition is sometimes referred to as "megacolon".

The geneticcause has to do with nerves in the intestines. A gene mutation controls migration of cells from the neural tube during development of the fetus. This mutation is seen phenotypically in "broken" coat pattern rabbits because the gene limits migration of color pigment cells. Unfortunately, this gene also regulates the migration of nerve cells to the intestines. Rabbits homozygous for this gene (hotots and"charlies")are more likely to suffer intestinal problems because of lack of development in the nerve cells of the intestines.

You canlearn by searching for "neural crest cell migration mutations."

Pam

So, part of understanding this is understanding how the coloration patterns in bunny genetics work. (I used to be a big hamster genetics person, but it isn't NEARLY as complicated as rabbits).

Thank you so much, Pam and Marietta!

Just wanted to agree with Pam and Marietta. I've had lots of "fun" with this with Fey and Sprite. It's probably what killed Sprite, or at the very least what started the ileus. She was always the more sensitive one.

Apparently this is also a problem with Engish Spots, especially the "charlies" with few spots.

Don't English Spots and Dwarf Hotots share a fair amount of the same patterning genes?

Yes, Dwarf Hotots and English Spots both have the EN spotting gene. In addition, the Dwarf Hotots have the Du Dutch Belting gene.

Pam

****raises hand****
Chippy-hotot-charlie-yadda-yadda, too!!

It's like she has Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

"Megacolon" was a term I also found in reference to her condition.
"Cowpiles" was another term describing the piled masses of soft/mushy/smelly poops.
And, in a toxic state, may be refered to as; colitis,Toxic Megacolon, ileus, or toxic enterocolitis.

NOTE:
I've had noticeable results treating her with supplemental ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)....as recommended by Randy (Thankyouthankyouthankyou buddy!!!!)

JimD wrote:
NOTE:
I've had noticeable results treating her with supplemental ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)....as recommended by Randy (Thankyouthankyouthankyou buddy!!!!)

How do you mean? Do you put Vit C drops in her water on a daily basis? Or something else?

Also, what you mentioned about the toxic state of megacolon is something I read for the first time.I'll try to find relevant articles "(especially on toxic enterocolitis), in order to understand this more, since I'm personally interested (my Vitto is a dwarf hotot). If so, this could help me relate more closely the GI stasis (1 incident only, thank God!) and the mild diarrhea Vitto has been troubled with.

Thanks for the very interesting info!

Marietta

Marietta wrote:
JimD wrote:
NOTE:

How do you mean? Do you put Vit C drops in her water on a daily basis? Or something else?

First I tried fresh orange as advised by several members, but Chippy would have nothing to do with it.

After reasearching a bit, I found that papaya is also a good sourse of vitamin C... higher than oranges...even in a dried state. So I give her a few pieces with every feeding.

"Ileus", "stasis", and other terms are often used interchangibly, but in reality they are different things, imply different things, etc. They can be related though.

It does explain one thing about Pellette- maybe she's a charlie-marked bunny. Her poops are always different sized and shaped. She doesn't seem to have any other problems though so its just speculation.

Latest posts

Back