Question about drooling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribbledot

Reaction score
Hello, my bunny seems to be drooling, but I'm confused about what it may be for. I know drooling is a sign of dental distress, but my boy isn't showing ANY signs of it other than drooling. He's eating fine, including pellets, hay, and leaves. and he's not showing any signs that he's in pain at all. His poops look fine too. I have looked at his front teeth, they're fine, but his mouth is so tiny I can't get back there to see his molars. I've noticed he tends to get drooly when I'm out and I have to put him in his hutch, where he usually just sleeps until I let him back out. When he's out playing he stops drooling and seems normal. He's around 7, do older bunnies just get drooly when they sleep?.. I guess I'm just confused cause again he's acting perfectly normal except he's a little drooly while he's sleeping. I'll absolutely take him to the vet if I need to, but I'd like a second opinion before I do. Money's already tight and I'd hate to ask that of my parents right before Christmas.

Some rabbits definitely can drool when they sleep. But dental issues are still a possibility, even if no other signs of dental problems occur like difficulty chewing or reduced appetite.

Teeth

If it's only occurring when he sleeps and the chin isn't staying wet with the drool, I wouldn't be as inclined to think it's related to a health problem. It it's happening during and directly after eating, or happening a majority of the time, dental issues are a strong possibility, which would require a thorough dental exam by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. Also, if the fur and skin is staying consistently wet, a secondary skin infection could occur, so it's important to find the cause and get it treated.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/excessive_en.htm
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Update.
He seems to have stopped drooling. I finally discovered that allergies were most likely the source. I had put some hay as bedding in the top level of his hutch earlier instead of his usual paper bedding, and the hay dust must have gotten to him. We cleaned it out a few days ago, and he's stopped drooling since yesterday morning! He seems pretty jazzed to be drool free, except I think he's mad at me for all the inspecting and getting up in his space I've been doing 😅 he won't come over for pets when I call him! No matter. Nothing a little treats won't fix hahaha.

Latest posts

Back