Question about cardboard

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara

Reaction score
Since there is so many rabbit items made of cardboard i figure it's safe to assume cardboard consumption is safe for my bunny. My question is how much is actually ok for him to eat? Should I take his hidey hut away after so much consumption? He's had it for a few weeks and only showed interest in the one corner. Now all of a sudden he is loving the roof lol Just curious if I should take it away after so much?

If he's eating it as if it's his last meal then I'd say that take it away...but if he isn't eating *that* much and he's still eating hay and veggies properly then I don't see a problem. :)

Hahah sounds like Odyssey, she didn't care about her willow teepee for a couple months and now all of a sudden it's half gone!

Actual consumption of excessive amounts or large pieces, could pose health risks like a gut blockage. But usually they aren't actually consuming more than tiny bits, but are just shredding the box up and leaving the pieces scattered on the ground. As long as that's all your bun is doing then it's usually not a problem.

Actual consumption of excessive amounts or large pieces, could pose health risks like a gut blockage. But usually they aren't actually consuming more than tiny bits, but are just shredding the box up and leaving the pieces scattered on the ground. As long as that's all your bun is doing then it's usually not a problem.
No pieces being left behind here, but he does stop and gets some hay, runs around, lays down and then back at it.

Attachments

• 20211105_183714.jpg
    20211105_183714.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 11
Then I would be cautious about letting your rabbit have access to cardboard. Most of the time ingesting a little won't cause issues, but I have read of instances where excessive consumption did cause a GI blockage.

It's one of those boxes that has shavings, bits of carrots and stuff on it. So I know the top layer is ok for him its the other layers that I'm more worried about. I'm just limiting his time with it now.

It's one of those boxes that has shavings, bits of carrots and stuff on it. So I know the top layer is ok for him its the other layers that I'm more worried about. I'm just limiting his time with it now.
I never trusted those and I've seen several cases of bunnies going into stasis due to ingesting that stuff. I don't want them to eat cardboard and I definitely don't want them to eat glue, even if it's 'pet safe'. I would throw it out, not worth the risk.

I agree, it's not a good idea to be encouraging a rabbit to eat cardboard by gluing tasty bits of carrot and hay on it. If you want something like that for enrichment, you're better off using things like woven grass tunnels/huts, giving treats by hand or in a dish, and only using plain cardboard boxes as a hide/shredding activity(if your rabbit doesn't also try and consume a plain cardboard box).

Oh my gosh! I didn't even think about that. What a dummy! I am usually so careful about that stuff. I order a lot of stuff from Etsy shops where I know the things have been home made with only natural ingredients. I ordered his litter from Chewy and I guess got carried away thinking it was so cute. Thanks guys for setting me straight. Hopefully no damage has been done. I would never forgive myself if I caused him to get sick.

Back