Question about cage biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_LuLu

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm having a bit of a problem with my baby, well not a problem, but Idon't want it to turn into a problem with her teeth. Normally Lulu runsaround my room for 4 or 5 hours a day, but when I get her back in hercage she bites the wires because she wants out again. I'm pretty surethat her biting can and will hurt her teeth but I don't know how to gether to stop. She has everything she likes in her cage, like when she isrunning around the room she will go back into her cage to play and usethe litter box in there instead of the one outside of her cage. Rightnow she is super mad at me because in my apartment I can hear the firealarms from a different buiding going off, so i'm keeping her in thereincase ours goes off and we have to go outside I want to be able tograb her easily to take her outside with me, because if it goes offwhile she is running around my room it will scare her and she will hidein the most awkward place making it impossible to catch her. But shemainly bites on her cage when she can hear people talking because ofcourse she wants out in the action, and at night because well, she isjust being a brat. But is there anything I can put on the cage so shedoesn't bite it? I have looked at her teeth and they look ok now, but Idon't want that to change..

Thanks!

When our bunn would chew the cage the only waywe found to stop him was to use a spray bottle and mist him whilesaying "No". That works great during the day when he iscrabby and wants out. Several people have suggested in otherposts that covering their bunns cage at night so they can't see you (ifthe cage is in your bedroom) might help quiet her down!:)HTH!

The only two males I have are the only ones thathave done it. I don't think it's right to spray them in theface though. They can't help it. Mine does it whenhe wants food. Ususally it's in the morning. Idon't think there is any way of stopping them from doing it.

Does she have toys to play with? You could fill an emptytoilet paper roll w/ hay and hang a paper towel roll from the top ofthe cage, cut one of the ends in three or four spaces on the bottom forher to play with and see if that helps a little.:D

Just to be clear...I NEVER spray our kids in theface...usually we aim for their feet or butt. I wouldconsider this better than letting them wreck their teeth.Then againhe only does it when he wants out. Healways has food and toys he just wants to be out with the otherrabbits...who def don't approve of him!

Oh, Loki does this too. It's usually when I walkinto my room between classes. There's isn't enough time to let him out,but he wants out while I'm there. He has toys and hay and food andeverything he could want in there but he still wants out into theliving room. Then when he's out in the living room he wants back intothe cage. Boy can't make up his mind! I haven't been able to think ofanything to do to stop it except not go into my room when I can't lethim out. He doesn't do it at night though. I think he realized it'smommy's sleepy time and quiets down. I hear the occasional munching onlettuce or if he hears something outside he THUMPS really loud to letme know. Scares the crap out of me in the middle of the night. haha!

t and loki

Our Binkie is a cage chewer, too.
She needs lots and lots of distractions to keep her from chewing.
I started hanging toys, strings, food, etc. on the area where she wasalways chewing. It didn't really stop her, but it did reduce it a lot.

~Jim

It's Ok AngelNSnuffy.:hug2: We had abunn that broke both her bottom teeth off at the gum line.Not something I'd want to deal with again. She had to make doeating with just her peg teeth till the front teethgrew backin properly. We are pretty sure sure she did it while throwing herceramic dishes around while having a p*** fit.

Runestonez wrote:
It's Ok AngelNSnuffy.:hug2: We had a bunn thatbroke both her bottom teeth off at the gum line. Notsomething I'd want to deal with again. She had to make doeating with just her peg teeth till the front teethgrew backin properly. We are pretty sure sure she did it while throwing herceramic dishes around while having a p*** fit.
That'sscary. I wouldn't want to go through that either.Poor bunn!

Latest posts

Back