question about bunny poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniferdwn

Reaction score
My rabbit had babies 11 days ago. She has been eating so much like she is starving since then. She cleans out her bowl and her hay bin quicker than ever before and way faster than my male rabbit. Not all at once but during the day. She has a wire bottom cage, but I have a rubber kind of mat for her to lay on for comfort. On this mat, there is some mushy looking poop. In her litter box it all looks normal and nothing mushy. Could that be the little beady kind (forgot the name but I think it starts with a c). Could it be I've given her too much fruits and veggies as I've been giving her extra since she is nursing. Am I feeding her too much? She is drinking normal as far as i can tell.

I read a little further down in posts and I think she is eating too much. Amy ideas why she is acting so hungry?? Do I feed her extra while she is nursing or just the normal amount?

usually mushy poop/excessive cecotrophes are a result of too much treats and pellets. I know she has a large litter but you should still limit the amount of pellets she gets and give her lots of hay. She is hungry because she is nursing but you should still limit the amount of pellets.

I'm not totally sure, but I think she should still get more pellets while nursing? Not unlimited pellets, but keep in mind she has to make milk for all her babies so she needs more nutrition. Fruits could be causing mushy poop, they are just sugary treats to a rabbit so don't feed her that, but her regular veggies and more pellets should be fine.

When I said "limited" I meant more then what she normally would get but not unlimited. I do give my nursing does unlimited so it depends, decrease the amount she gets a bit and see if it helps. You may want to stop the veggies and see if that helps :)

OK I'll try more hay and less pellets for a day or two and cut out all fruits. I was giving them a few pieces of apple, a piece of banana and some spinach. I had been giving them kale for a few days until I read they shouldn't have too much of that. What are the best veggies to give bunnies? I've bought parsley, cilantro, and all that's listed above. Plus I cut fresh mint, rosemary, clover and dandelions once a week or so. I really do appreciate all of your help! :group2:
Any other suggestions or things I should know, please tell me, I wouldn't mind. I'm learning new things everyday.

You should cut out any sugary starchy treats and see if that clears up the mushy poop. If not, you may need to try cutting the veggies and see if that improves things.

Nursing mom's need a lot more pellets, as they need the extra protein and calcium. But this amount should be gradually increased over a few days from the moment the babies are born, to almost 3 times the normal amount she would get. Since it's already been 11 days, she should be eating a lot more pellets at this point. Along with that she needs access to unlimited amounts of hay. You can work up to unlimited pellets if she is still eating her hay well. If not and she prefers the pellets to the hay, then you will want to limit the pellets a little, just so she is at least eating a pile of hay the size of her body. But she should still be eating a lot more pellets than normal.

ETA: Any new veggies introduced should be done gradually over about a week, starting off with a small amount, then increasing if it doesn't cause mushy poop or digestive upset.
http://www.lagomorphs.com/salad.pdf

Last edited:
I'm feeding them twice a day a big handful of hay but it isn't the size of their body. I don't know that either of them would eat that much. Wow, I hate to think I might not be giving them enough. Munchkin never eats all of his pellets or hay so I know he's OK. But Flopsy acts like she's always hungry. Im going to get up and go give her more hay right now. I feel awful. I guess thinking back though She wasn't really like this until she had her babies. She's just hungry now. I think they are OK. I just need to increase their amount of hay. OK I feel a little better.

The pile the 'size of their body', is total amount for the day, and that's approximate. She always needs to have a grass hay to eat, but also needs to get enough pellets to keep herself and the babies nourished. Keep an eye on that mushy poop too. Hopefully cutting out the sugary treats will solve it. But if it gets a lot worse or develops into watery diarrhea, you need to get her right to a vet.

Back