question about bunny health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i got a wabbit from a pet store about 6 months ago. At first she was skinny and small, now she's better feed and hoppier and chews everything but she has a pouch or this growth on her neck and I dont' know what it is. It keeps getting bigger and widder. I don't over feed her at all and let her hop around my house all the time. Could it be a tumor?

Can you post a picture of it?

Many rabbits develop extra skin under their neck, known as a "dewlap". If the 'lump' is soft and fleshy, I'm betting that's what it is ;)

mystery1.jpg

from: http://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/orange_county_rabbits

What your seeing is most likely a dewlap. Most female rabbits get them, and some male as well. No body really knows what they are for, but it's not something to worry about.

If it's soft and squishy, and feels like a flap of skin with a little fat, it's a dewlap. If it's a hard ball, that feels firm and not squishy, then it may be an abcess or tumour.

I know there was a thread a while back on dewlaps, if you use the search feature at the top of the page, and type in "Dewlap", you'll come up with some good threads that have some pictures for you to compare to.

Also, you could post some pictures of your bunny, and most of us could tell you if it's just her dewlap or if you should be concerned.

--Dawn

Well, great minds think alike :D

here is a picture of her
e537re2.jpg

.....the dewlap is lil bigger now tho
will it go away at al?? and how do you clip their claws they have for nails?

I love Harlequins! :bunnyheart Her dewlap will stay- some rabbits get bigger dewlaps if they are overweight, but she looks right to me.

This site will tell you how to clip her nails:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resourcesgeneral/a/nailtrim.htm

I use a nail clipper that was made for a small dog. I also have one that's made for rabbits and has a rabbit face on the handle, but I don't like it. It's hard to hold and the blade doesn't cut nicely.

is it also ok to give them baths like once in a while...hunny's feet and but start to smell bad after a little while and so does she because she rolls in her cage....if that's not normal she's my rabbit which would explain it...none of my animals are normal from the dogs to the chinchilla....but i gave her a bath once and she seemed like she liked it
99c2re2.jpg

e593re2.jpg

c467re2.jpg

9f13re2.jpg

*it's on low warm.cold setting....don't yell at me
3f6dre2.jpg

Hi diamondracer, you bun is VERY cute.

I use a regular human nail clipper to cut my buns nails.

_______
Nadia

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to give a rabbit a full bath, however if your rabbit seems to like it I don't know why you shouldn't. Anyone else know about this?

angieluv wrote:
I read somewhere that you're not supposed to give a rabbit a full bath, however if your rabbit seems to like it I don't know why you shouldn't. Anyone else know about this?
Giving a rabbit a bath is quite stressful. I wouldn't recommend it.

Back