Question about bonding and vet appt.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that a check-up is a wonderful thing. When we first had bunnies, we did NOT have a bunny-savvy vet (we just used the same one we took our cats to). The vets and staff there didn't seem to think that an annual exam was necessary. We learned the hard way when Stewart succombed to Pasteurella that finding a vet who KNOWS bunnies is imperative.

I take all of our buns in together for their annual visit each December. The vet gives us a discount for bringing in multiples in one trip. Dr. Hall does an extremely thorough exam and is able to check for things I could never do at home. For example, this year he's asked me to bring Gingivere in in the spring to have her incisors trimmed. They're fine now, but he doesn't want her to wait a year...and that is something that might have gotten out of hand before I really noticed there was a problem. I think preventive medicine is the best. That doesn't mean that illness won't rear it's ugly head...it just makes things better.

Good luck on the vet visit!

~Mary Ellen

I took my bonded pair in for their annual checkup last month. It just makes it easier on mefinancially. Plus, they keep either calm.

I also took Goobie and Pete together on a visit. They haven't completed the transition to a formal bonded pair yet. Pete was there just to keep Goobie calm. She needed the appointment for an URI.

I agree an annual checkup is important. My vet also sends reminders for checkups. Pete is actually due. I'll take Goobie along fora checkup.

The important thing here is if you feel comforatble that they will not fight. Sounds like they won't if they love each other now, but you're the best judge.

My bunny Misty - no matter how stressed she is, she will always try to take a chunk out of a bunny she doesn't like.

If you think there is a chance they will fight, take them in seperate carriers. I take my guys in two seperate carriers, but I hold them face to face the entire time, so they see each other and look to each other for comfort (even though the can't physically get to each other).

This has worked for me in teh past (took Misty and Charlie in seperate carriers to the vet) and it was the breakthrough I needed with my bonding.

But if you think Arielle and Ashton are ok together, shouldn't be a problem. That being said - you may have already taken them in and everything is good. :D

Regular checkups are good. My vets always do a fecal float to look for parasites at their bi-annual checkups.

:)

Nadia

I may be crazy, but I would never try bonding if (a) either of them wasn't altered, or (b) you have one that is unaltered and hasn't gone through puberty yet, so you don't know what changes he/she will go through during puberty.

You may find that bonding them before altering and/or puberty, they have personality changes that make it so the bonded pair you've got right now winds up having to be separated. Ariella might wind up so cage agressive, you'd wind up with a fight on your hands.

I just don't see bonding unaltered buns (no matter what the gender) as worth the risk...no matter how you look at it.

For instance, Flower's almost two years of age, and not yet altered...and totally smitten with Trixie...but I've NEVER put them together, nor would I even consider trying to bond them...because I don't want them to wind up fighting when Flower's hormonal. Flower is a TOTAL and complete LOVEBUG when she's not hormonal...but take last night. She was hormonal and actually CHARGED at me, honking and grunting, ears back, ANGRY! I was laying down and sprang up so I wasn't prone if she decided to do more than charge. I think that's a good illustration of how personality can vary in an unaltered bun...particularly a females.

Ariella might seem just fine and cuddly and happy to have company now, but she's still very young. Her desire for company now (i.e. before hormones) is simply from having had her siblings around and being used to it. Once her hormones hit, she might become quite cage agressive and not WANT company.

I would worry about fights, agression, and Dahlia's unhappiness if/when her friend turns on her.

Anyway, just my :twocents

One thing I should add (that you've already mentioned, but it's worth stating again)...NEVER put an unaltered male and female together that are more than a month old...unless you're prepared for an accidental litter. I've only done this ONCE, and that's ONLY because I knew for absolute certain that the buns weren't even close to sexually mature (takes a good knowledge of full breed/s of bun...and all buns in the scenerio were purebred and VERY young).

Edited to add: Also be careful how close you put two unaltered buns' cages if they're next to one another. Buns have been known to be able to mate through the bars. You'll want about three inches between.

Ok...well, I just wanted to post that warning...

I just wouldn't do it because of (a) the possibility of a fight breaking out while I'm not in the room, or some such, or (b) the possiblity of that fight either mortally wounding one of them, or any wound creating an absess, or any other number of things that could go wrong in a bun fight. I just wouldn't want to take the chance...

Again, just my :twocents, and as a mod and a fellow bun lover, it's my responsibility to mention it.

Hugs to you!

Rosie*

Oh yeah definitelydo notput an unaltered male and female together, even if you are there to supervise! Seriously, the saying "mate like bunnies" doesnt come from nowhere..they are crazy and can get pregnant so easily!

I would get your maleneutered, wait about 8 weeks and then try bonding.

Seriously, I dont even let unaltered opposite sex bunnies in the same room when I have fosters bc Im so afraid I'll miss something. They can mate through the bars and everything.

Better safe than sorry with regards to the buns :)

maherwoman wrote:
Ok...well, I just wanted to post that warning...

I just wouldn't do it because of (a) the possibility of a fight breaking out while I'm not in the room, or some such, or (b) the possiblity of that fight either mortally wounding one of them, or any wound creating an absess, or any other number of things that could go wrong in a bun fight. I just wouldn't want to take the chance...

Again, just my :twocents, and as a mod and a fellow bun lover, it's my responsibility to mention it.

Hugs to you!

Rosie*

:yeahthat:

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Rosie here. Unaltered buns, you have this scenario and that. You want to save rabbits, if in your area, they need homes. I know you want to save them all, so do we, but we cannot. Adding to the possiblity of what you're trying to lessen is just combating what you are trying to do, right?

I would have to agree but in addition, I would want to know what is causing her eye problem before introducing them all to Ariella.

Haley wrote:
Oh yeah definitelydo notput an unaltered male and female together, even if you are there to supervise! Seriously, the saying "mate like bunnies" doesnt come from nowhere..they are crazy and can get pregnant so easily!

I would get your maleneutered, wait about 8 weeks and then try bonding.

Seriously, I dont even let unaltered opposite sex bunnies in the same room when I have fosters bc Im so afraid I'll miss something. They can mate through the bars and everything.

Better safe than sorry with regards to the buns :)

And, I love this post, from someone that's seen it...:?.

Thanks, Haley!:)

Latest posts

Back