Question About Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashlyn1984

Reaction score
When can babies start eating pellets? I have 4 two week old lionhead rabbits that have already started eating hay and will occasionally nibble on pellets which I think is fine but not 100% sure. This was a surprise litter and our first. We have enjoyed watching them grow everyday and watching the silly things they do.

Should be okay as long as they don't eat too much. Most of our Tans are very active and are jumping in and out of the nestbox by about 2 weeks. They eat some pellets, but as long as Mom is still nursing them regularly I don't see ours eat very much. The Mom will usually start forcing them to eat more pellets by refusing to let them nurse as often, usually by 4 weeks for ours. It depends on the doe and the breed though.

Should be okay as long as they don't eat too much. Most of our Tans are very active and are jumping in and out of the nestbox by about 2 weeks. They eat some pellets, but as long as Mom is still nursing them regularly I don't see ours eat very much. The Mom will usually start forcing them to eat more pellets by refusing to let them nurse as often, usually by 4 weeks for ours. It depends on the doe and the breed though.

Thank you. They will only typically nibble on a pellet or two but do nibble on hay. She is still feeding them at night but we have to get them out from under the shelf in the cage before we go to bed now that all 4 figured out they can hide under there and put them back in nest area so she will feed them. She isn't too thrilled that they wander around the cage now and go after her to nurse throughout the day.

Latest posts

Back