Question about babies,ears and minitures?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I was wondering if a baby's are any indication of how big they will grow to be? I've notice different ears sizes in the same age litter, some have slightly bigger heads and ears than others. I am assuming that theses ones will be larger when they are done growing. Is there any truth to this?

I was also wondering what the difference is between a dwarf rabbit and a miniture? Are they one and the same? While snooping in the pet store i asked about some bunnies they had. They looked like full size rabbits only smaller. they also had very smooth hair and very fine features. almost thin looking. I asked if they were dwarf and the store person said no, they were minitures, six months old. They were the same size as my babies at 4 weeks.

Yes, those with long ears generally grow up to be larger rabbits. Tiny, short ears indicate the dwarfting gene.

Pam

Photo below compares a baby American (large rabbit that matures at an average 10 lbs.) and a Polish (small rabbit that has an average mature weight of 2 1/2 lbs) Both of them are approx. 8 weeks of age.

ThePolish rabbit in this photo doesnot carry the dwarfing gene.

Tiny dwarf hotot babythat will mature at under 2 1/2 lbs. (has the dwarfing gene indicated by the rounded head and tiny ears.)

Pam

Oh Pam, that Hotot kit is darling! I have hardly ever seen any of those, there aren't very many around here.

gentle giants wrote:
Oh Pam, that Hotot kit is darling! I have hardly ever seen any of those, there aren't very many around here.

They are little popcorn balls of energy and they love to climb up the sides of their cages.

Pam

Well, I think we would probably all agree that it's a rare pet store that knows what the h*** they are talking about when it comes to breed. Or sex, for that matter.

Hey Pam, I think I would be afraid a bunny that teensy might accidentaly get thrown out with the dirty bedding! Or even just pop right out through the wire! What are they like to raise?

Latest posts

Back