question about aspen pellets / nothing in the bottom of cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llidisky

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a litter pan with aspen pellets with hay on top in the corner of my bunnies cage. He seems to be using the litter pan some as a poop station / lounging station. But he poops everywhere not just the pan. it is all over the cage and no where has more than the other so I cant move the pan around. he is almost 6 weeks old so my question is: should I keep the entire bottom of the cage covered in aspen pellets until he is a bit older to litter train? His back side of his belly and around his guy stuff is a bit dirty since I have nothing in the bottom of the cage to soak up any stray liquid. I sweep his poo out nightly and give the bottom of the cage a wipe down. So any pointers would be awesome. The cage is a 22x44" guinea pig cage with a small ramp to a 10x22 upper shelf. We used it for a previous pet before he started biting. (he went back to the store). (I sterilized everything before use with the bunny)

I think if you put litter material all over the bottom of his cage, he'll think the whole cage is a litter box. Try soaking up his pee and clean up stray poos & put them in the litter box - at some point he'll get that he has one place to go - when he reaches adolescence he may mark all over again. They catch up pretty fast. Mine would pee all over and after doing the above, he now only goes in the box. I put a grate on top of the litter material that way it won,t stain and since he's a lionhead with a huge mane, it clung to his mane & butt before. He's much cleaner now - yet I still find stray poos all over

Tweetiepy wrote:
I think if you put litter material all over the bottom of his cage, he'll think the whole cage is a litter box. Try soaking up his pee and clean up stray poos & put them in the litter box - at some point he'll get that he has one place to go .
what Tweetiepy said:) i agree.
if hes laying in his own waste u gotta clean it up a little faster ,cuz it will cause him urine scald and thats painful.
if for some reason u cant clean it up quick enough then line his cage up with grass matts or something so he isnt laying in a puddles of pee.... .shoot we give human children a couple years to learn where to go to the bathroom...hes a baby hes not gonna have perfect potty etiquette yet..but after hes neutered it will be close to perfect.:)

by the way 6 weeks old is wayyy too young to be away from his momma..wayy too young.dont mess with treats,or veggies yet .and if he gets runny poop u need to get him to the vet pronto...hes way too young so please keep an eye on him.

Latest posts

Back