question about a kind of rabbit pellets and hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is the company Hartz and Topcrop good for your rabbit? I'm feedingTopcrop pellets and Hartz timothy hay to my rabbits right now. I justwanna know if anybody here is using these two companies to feed thererabbit and tell me what you think about these two companies. I thinkTopcrop is only made in Canada. Well I hope Hartz and Topcrop are goodquality rabbit food companies.

:)Cassandra:)P.S.- This is a pic of the Hartz timothyhay I'm feeding myrabbits.

I use them cause I can't afford to dootherwise. But my piggies have done very well. Ialways check the back to make sure the protein levels are where theyshould be. I use the more expensive sorts through Walmart andthey all have everything they need. Just make sure you checkthe back of the bag. Hope this helps, now otherpeople may not agree but who cares what brand as long as your babiesare gettng the nutrition they need. My vet told me they wereall right just check the back for nutitional content. I don'tbuy the ones with the colored pieces either cause those tend to have alot of sugar!

Since we are on the subject of hay... I placedstraw instead of hay insidemy rabbits cage so she could builda nest, however; she ate it! Would this be unhealthy for her?

-Lydia

Trix (my mini rex) wrote:
Since we are on the subject of hay... I placed straw insteadof hay insidemy rabbits cage so she could build a nest,however; she ate it! Would this be unhealthy for her?

-Lydia
Nope. Won't harm her a bit. No nutritional value, I believe, but won't hurt her, either.

angoralover wrote:
Hi everyone,

Is the company Hartz and Topcrop good for your rabbit? I'm feedingTopcrop pellets and Hartz timothy hay to my rabbits right now. I justwanna know if anybody here is using these two companies to feed thererabbit and tell me what you think about these two companies. I thinkTopcrop is only made in Canada. Well I hope Hartz and Topcrop are goodquality rabbit food companies.

:)Cassandra:)P.S.- This is a pic of the Hartz timothyhay I'm feeding myrabbits.

I imagine the hay is probably fine, other than you are most likelypaying a lot of money for it in such small quantities. I buya bale of timothy and store it in a black plastic "leaf" bag, thelarger kind. I but the bale in the bag on its side, then cutthe baling wire/string while it is in the bag. I leave thetop of the bag open so the hay gets air anddoesn'tmold or sour. One bale lasts about six months for our fiverabbits. Cost, here in NJ, about $8.00-$9.00 per bale.

Many local mills provide good feed. Check the label, lookingfor about 17-18% protein for angoras, I believe. Compare theingredients with other respected and reputable feeds within the rabbitfancying community, like Purina, Nutreena, Ox Box, Heinold, Blue Seal,and others. Look for feed that is no older than three months,and the more current the manufacturing date, the higher liklihood itwill have its maximum nutritional value.

I purchase feed in 50 lb bags, then place it in the freezer.I remove portions of the feed on an as needed basis. Frozenfeed should maintain it nutritional values for up to a year, as per onemanufacturer's CSR.

Buck

Kaytee pellets are full of sugar! I'd suggestgoing to a near by feed store and picking the plain old boring stuff,it's much healthier for the rabbit.

I agree. We go to the Walmart incrystal city. They have an animal section for the biggertypes of animals. They also have a rabbit food that isactually good for them. I know what the bag looks like butcan't remember the name. It has all the stuff they aresupposed to have and no sugar. No colors, just plain boringpellet. They will get enough natural sugar from their veggiesand fruit. The next time I go to pick the rabbit feed, I'llgive you the name. We pay like 8 dollars for a 15 lbbag! So the price isn't to bad either. You can gettheir food anywhere just check the back of the bag. I tookthe bag to the vet and he said it was all right for them. Notthe best out there but it had everything that the rabbits needed andnothing they didn't. So i'll get you the name. Goodluck till then!

no i'm sorry its a 45 lb bag typo!oops! I always crab cause it's to much but then the pricemakes me keep buying it! I didn't read my post so it's notexpensive! lol

Back