Question About 2 New Bunnies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I got 2 new baby bunnies. Their about 8 wks old. I've been told to spend alot of time with them. Which I feel I do. But I was wondering how much time should I spend with them? I'm afraid with them being so young, I may do too much with them. Never had baby bunnies before. I want them to be use to us. I also just sit in their (big NIC)cage with them and they crawl on me, and I pet them.

I just don't want to do to much, but know I'm spending enough time with them. I sit in their cage about 3-4 times a day. And I try holding them 2-3 times a day. Whether I'm sitting or holding it's not for real long periods of time.

Thanks for your suggestions,:) April

If you're mainly just sitting in there cage, you could do that all day.. picking them up is going to be the more stressful part.. but getting them used to it when they're young is great, so I think that's reasonable. If they're crawling on you in the cage, then they are not overly stressed by your presence and you're doing no harm. So long as they continue to eat and are not being constantly stressed, then the most socialization you can do, the better.

I just got a baby guinea pig and I've been picking him up 2-4 times a day and holding him on the bed or on my lap for 15-20 min. I also let him run around the floor and I sit there so he can come up to me if he wants. He's far less social than a bunny, but it's already starting to help. And he doesn't seem to get very stressed.. he calms right down after being picked up.

Aww, congrats on your two :). From your avatar, it seems they are living together? Since they are male/female, I would definitely look into seperating them sooner rather than later (Definitely long before 12 weeks) to avoid pregnancy. Which at how young they are, can be extremely dangerous. So best to seperate them early :).

It sounds like you are fine with how much you are spending with them. Getting them interacting with you through games is good for exercise and mental stimulation too. If you hold a paper towel roll fro them to throw, nudge a ball towards them, etc. is good too! No real "absolute" time to spend, just whatever fits into your schedule! For me, I usually spend a few hours a day in the rabbit room doing chores/work. Even if I'm not directly sitting with them or petting them, being around them is good too! They'll let you know if they get sick of you ;). My guys always grunt or just ignore me if they don't feel like company!

They don't mind me sitting in the cage but when I try to hold them, they try to jump out of my arms. So it's kinda scary trying to hold them. I'm afraid they might get hurt. :cry2 Thanks, April

Hehe, baby bunnies can definitely be jumpy! Usually they calm down a bit as they age. I find it easier to hold jumpy babies if I keep one hand over their backs pressed against my chest and the other under thier bum, and firmly hold them to your chest. If I have them anywhere near my shoulder or not pressed against my chest, usually they take hte chance to go Kamakazi on me! :D

I agree with the holding method Spring described. It's important to make them feel secure and hold them very close to you. Furthermore you can tuck their head under your arm with your other arm draped over the back.
If they are jumpy, I would hold them only while sitting on the ground until they get more comfortable. That way if they jump from your arms, the risk of injury is reduced.

Yes. I have male and female. they have same father so I don't want babies. The doctor told me to seperate them at 2 months til I have them fixed, then I'll rebond them, I hope.

Thanks for the suggestions. :biggrin2: April

K. I'll try holding them the way you said. I always stay on ground when I hold them. I'm afraid if I stand they would get hurt if one got away from me.

I didn't know baby bunnies were so jumpy. Thanks for letting me know.

:) April

I'm sorry I put the bunnies were 8 wks old. Their only 6-7 wks. Sorry. In the next couple weeks or so I'll be seperating them. April

Thank you. Here's a better picture.

Handsome.jpg

BabyGirl-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back