Quarantine question... please give me your opinions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadLady

Reaction score
Hi... Ok I hope I do not confuse you all... sorry if I do....

A good friend of mine just got an a kit (well 10 weeks old) from another breeder (actually she got 2... from 2 different breeders)... The 1 breeder has lost about 30-40 rabbits in the past couple months with that "thing" that is going around...

Now, the doe that had the kit my friend got came down with the "thing" as she had her kits... they were just about 2 weeks old...... she almost died (the mom of this kit)... the doe made it as did all of the kits... my friend just got a kit from that litter... so that kit is rabbit #1....

When the lady delivered that kit, she bought another kit from another breeders barn... This is kit is rabbit # 2...

Ok so, I hear that the other breeder had this THING go through their barn... but the one with kit # 2 is trying to deny it... BUT she had told a few people & a friend of mine who is a judge & good friends with her told me she lost about 20 rabbits....

Ok... so the breeder of kit # 1 goes & picks up kit # 2... she keeps them both at her house for about 4 days... then she delivers them to my friend...

a day later kit # 2 comes down with the THING... the kit dies.. She had them out side her barn... not in with her herd...

I told her I would wait at least 2-4 weeks leaning on the 4 weeks! She said that the other breeder said 1 week is fine & that the kit has it's immune system built up because the mom had it & made it...

She was not even going to take the kits but it was a trade from a past transaction... she did not know how long she would have to wait for her end of the deal if she passed on these guys...

What do you guys think?

How long would you keep the kit out of your barn?

especially with what is going around, I've been keeping my herd completely split up, my breeding stock, from my show goers to the newbies to the barn, I just don't want to take any chances at all. The only thing I worry about is one newbie getting the other newbie's sick. So far nothing!

I agree with the 30 day suggestion...

Latest posts

Back