Qtip seems off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
This evening tippy has been hopping and sitting a little uncomfortably. She doesn't seem hungry, which is weird for her. Don't have meds on hand but trying to mash pellets. Alfie seems quite worried about her. Stomach feels fine, not bloated. Any ideas? 2.5 yr old mini rex.

It sounds to me like a bit of a tummy ache. My girl kiwi has chronic GI problems, & the signs that you posted are what she does when she's having an episode. I would suggest giving simethicone (baby oval), which you can get over the counter at a drug store.

I'm sure Jbun will write shortly with her recommendation for you.

Hold on the pellets unless she'll eat a few herself. Is she eating at all on her own, or pooping? You don't want to syringe feed if she isn't pooping, as she may have a blockage. Have you tried enticing her with any of her leafy veggies?

Infant gas drops, 1-2cc every hour for three hours if needed, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed. But usually after 3 hours if she isn't starting to eat again on her own, a vet visit may be in order. A rabbit not eating for more than 12 hours is considered an emergency.

cc/ml, same thing. Usually 1 cc is enough, as our simethicone is usually a higher concentration anyways. I've never done a 2cc dose.

A little eating and poop is good. Hopefully it's just a bit of gas.

You may want to hold off on sugary/starchy treats for now, as they slow down a rabbits digestion, which is opposite of what you want to happen at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks. Got her to eat a bite of kale and a little piece of arugala. Pellet slurry was licked at when mixed with a tiny piece of pineapple (alfie gladly ate the rejected papaya!) 2 ml berry flavored simithicone were force fed....until she realized it actually tasted good. Might just be me but she looks more comfortable. Can't stay up all night with her like I'd want to because we both have to work but I doubt I will be sleeping well tonight. Might give her one more cc in the middle of the night if we are both up.
Alfie is being a very attentive husbun, so I think she will be fine. My first bout with gas in 15+ years of bunny owning! Scared me!

Ms. Bug is just fine this morning. There were tons of poops and I'm pretty sure a bunch were hers. She's eating like a monster and is back to her sassy self. Thanks for the help, everyone!

I'm glad ms bun is back to normal! It's so scary when they are ill, especially with an upset tummy. My go to drug is always simethicone. First signs of tummy trouble, I always give that. It's super safe to give, so I don't worry. I think the stuff we have up here in Canada is different from the stuff you guys have down there. I was told to give maximum 0.25 cc, & I could give that every hour, but I usually do twice daily, sometimes more if I don't see an improvement within the hour.

Glad everything ok. Snowy was a bit off last night. Went into the back of the cage and was hunched up. He didn't come for food, not like him at all. Got him out of the cage abd gave him a tummy massage as it was gurgling and gave simethicone. I swear ite works wonders and everyone should have some at home. He sat on the sofa with me and after a couple of hours he started periscoping and climbing on me and I put himback with Bandy and he started eating.

What I'm saying is that most of us know our buns and if you catch something at the start, it can make things so much easier. Qtip, Snowy sends you lots of bunny hugs, he knows exactly how you felt :)

That's great that Qtip is feeling better :)

Same with Snowy, Chris. They sure like to worry us don't they :pullhair:

I'm glad ms bun is back to normal! It's so scary when they are ill, especially with an upset tummy. My go to drug is always simethicone. First signs of tummy trouble, I always give that. It's super safe to give, so I don't worry. I think the stuff we have up here in Canada is different from the stuff you guys have down there. I was told to give maximum 0.25 cc, & I could give that every hour, but I usually do twice daily, sometimes more if I don't see an improvement within the hour.

I think we probably do tend to give a higher dose. I go off of the recommendation on this link.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
Many times just the 1-2cc's is used, but technically the recommended dose is 20-40mg, but because it is considered so safe, I don't worry too much about going a little over. I figure a little too much is better than not enough. This other link is more specific and says the same dosage, but per kg. So that's probably what I would go with.
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Simethicone.htm

Look ok to me, active ingredient is simeticone and the ones I use are strawberry flavour. I also don't worry too much about dosage as are so safe.

I usually just buy the cheaper walmart version.

Jennifer, have you found any that don't have artificial sweeteners. All the ones that I've seen, do. The one with sucralose is what I've always given, and never had problems, plus I worry about giving rabbits with digestive problems, real sugar that could increase the problems. Have you come across any links or anything that you can share, that shows that sucralose is bad?

Jenny I just checked the brand I use and it has sweetener as well but I have never had problems either, don't think I can get it without.

Back