Q's about homemade Critical Care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
How long can you keep a mix in the fridge for?
Consisting of some pellets, boiled water & pumpkin.
Or should you just mix and discard what you don't use right away?

How long in between feedings should it be about for a bun 1 lb 15oz?

Those are the questions I'm having a hard time finding answers to.

Thanks

I'm not so great with guidelines for critical care, but from a cooks perspective I would say it will keep 1or 2 nights in the refrigerator.

I really wish I could help more, I'm sure the more critical care experienced members will chip in shortly with a much better answer.

All the best,
Selina.

I will usually mix up a fresh batch each day. Definitely don't keep it longer than 2 days. So the left over pumpkin doesn't go bad either, something that works well is to use an ice cube tray and fill it up with the pumpkin, then freeze it. Then when frozen, dump in a plastic bag or container. Then just pull out one at a time as you need it, and make sure to give it time to thaw.

For adult buns, I usually do feedings every 3-4 hours, but with a baby you may need to do it every 2 hours.

I would mix a day's worth up at a time - I doubt keeping it for two would be a problem, but it's safest to just mix it daily.

Re: JBun's suggestion for freezing pumpkin... if you have any sort of silicone baking tray/cups or silicone ice cube mold, definitely use that over a regular hard plastic one! I have to freeze small portions of semi-soft foods on a regular basis (sugar glider dinners); it drove me nuts trying to dig stuff with an ice-cream-like consistency out of the hard plastic trays. Someone suggested silicone trays, so I tried them - now I won't use anything else! :D

Thank you everyone.
Running the gauntlet today. Something nothing. You know.
Eating, not etc.
Right now she's perky, up eating & switching between the hays & pellets. Just wore herself out running & binkys at top speed & I think ended up with hiccups?
Was strange to see.

It's like once we get her motor running, she's mostly good for the day.

How long would you say frozen pumpkin lasts?

Not sure if fresh vs canned makes a difference in freezer shelf-life but with fresh fruits in general, I've heard they're good for around 6 months as long as they don't get freezer burn or anything. I use air-tight freezer safe containers or vacuum-sealed bags to store fresh fruits and veggies in the freezer and it takes me 2-3 months to use up a whole batch - they're always good for at least that long.

I would mix a day's worth up at a time - I doubt keeping it for two would be a problem, but it's safest to just mix it daily.

Re: JBun's suggestion for freezing pumpkin... if you have any sort of silicone baking tray/cups or silicone ice cube mold, definitely use that over a regular hard plastic one! I have to freeze small portions of semi-soft foods on a regular basis (sugar glider dinners); it drove me nuts trying to dig stuff with an ice-cream-like consistency out of the hard plastic trays. Someone suggested silicone trays, so I tried them - now I won't use anything else! :D

I'm at an actual keyboard for once so it is easier to type :)

Thanks all for the input, I really appreciate it.

I only actually have one hard plastic ice cube tray as I don't much make ice.
So what I did was take the opposite end of the spoon once I added in the pumpkin and make like a....entry point? for myself once it was frozen to be able to pop that end of the spoon back in and pop the frozen pumpkin back out.
It worked somewhat. The pumpkin kinda slouched over into the holes I tried to make but I was able to get leverage on them enough to pop them out.

I came back into the living room with the tray and pumpkin to watch her while I did this thinking nothing of it really cause she showed no interest in the pumpkin the whole day right? lol..
She came running up the couch and jumped me for the pumpkin. Almost landed two paws perfect in the tray and would have squished it everywhere.
I fended her off with a spoon and she started eating it right there, picky girl.

Latest posts

Back