Q about litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystalily

Reaction score
I was reading up under bunny 101 about littertraining, and I have everything for it. At the moment, Jazz and Spazzhave Carefresh all around their cage. Do I put the carefresh in theirlitter bin and their droppings and see if they will use it? Am Icorrect in thinking that there should be no carefresh on the bottom ofthe cage anymore and it should be in the litter bin?

Thanks everyone!! :bunnydance:

Yes, it should only be in the litterpan. As they start using it, they will probably haveaccidents until they are fully "trained". If they pee or pooin the cage, and not in the pan, put the poos in the pan and for thepee, just wipe it up w/ a paper towel or some toilet paper and put thatin the litter pan to help them get the idea. Also, if theykeep going in the cage and not the pan in the same spot, move the panto that spot.:D

Yup only in litter pan. Put the poop into it. :litterhealthy:

Should I put hay in there? I think I readsomewhere that I should, soI put a little bit in there butthey already have a side hay feeder thingy so I am not sure. :)

I put hay in one corner. That entices them to goin and munch. Also, if you can move their hay rack so that its abovethe litter box, that helps also.

Anything to get the little stinkers in there will help!

I've always kept hay in Nibbles' litterboxes -not only has that helped her litter habits, she also pushes it aroundand digs in it, as if she was making a nest. I can't argue with that!(Food and a toy all in one.)

Thanks everyone! the bunnies have been prettygood about keeping their poop localized around the litter bin (even ifI have to pick up about 2... or 10 to move them there once in a while)but I haven't seen them pee nor have I seen any pee marks... and I knowthey drink gobs of water. It's like every few minutes they get somewater. Could they already be using the litter as a pee place?

:colors:

That'd make me happy if they were! But it seems too soon?

Edit: Wouldnt you know, as soon as I wrote this one of them pee'd rightnext to the litter? :disgust:I wiped it up with a piece oftoilet paper and put it in the litter.

The thing with bunnies is not so much trainingthem, as allowing them to express their inner neat freak.Rabbits in the wild will only potty in one spot in the warren so itwon't stink up the whole place and attract predators.

So buns will naturally try to go in just one place, it's just a matter of finding out where they like to go.

Some buns couldn't care less and will go everywhere, but the majority pick up litter training right from the get go.

--Dawn

Thanks Dawn! I get the feeling they are veryclose to understanding I want their poo poos and wee wees to go in thelitter bin because the pee was right next to the litter... but notquite there. :D

How often do you clean out the litter bin? I was thinking of cleaningit out today to make sure I could tell they were poo'ing in there butnot sure.

I clean my guys out about every second day orwhenever the litter boxes start to look dirty. I would beinclined to keep the litter box a bit dirty for the first little bit sothat it always smells like a potty to them.

What I do when they get miss the litter box is use a tissue or papertowell to wipe up the mess. The put the dirty paper towell inthe litter box, thus making the litter box smell like apotty. I then use a 50/50 water/vinegar mix to wipe down thepiddle spot to get rid of the potty smell outside the litter box.

I find that by cleaning the cage with the vinegar mix and keeping thelitter box somewhat dirty for a couple weeks really works.I've done all my fosters that way, and they have not been perfect butthey've definitly caught on.

--Dawn

I have noticed w/ both males that I have had andtrained that it seems like if you let it get dirty, they are more habitforming. Snuffles starts weeing and such in the cage rightafter I change his litter, the "turd bird" his new nickname.:D I'd let it go at least another day or so. Imean, does seem still pretty clean right now?

It doesn't smell too bad in there and there arequite a lot of turds in it lol! It could probably go another day or so.They are making quite a mess with the hay! lol! neat freak like I amkeeps going in there and being like "aaahhh!" picking up all the turdsand hay and putting it in their litter. And of course when I've pickedup all the turds, three more pop out of their butt.

I think they conspire to do things like that. lol! :whatevah:dunno:

Latest posts

Back