Purposefully ignoring litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrie

Reaction score
Powder still uses his box inside the cage fine - but once he's out he has his little dark spot he likes. He was using one corner, so I put his litterbox there. He used it for a week. Then he swapped to the other corner, so I put a litterbox there. Well, now he's going in between the two litterboxes... he'll even go into his litterbox, sit there for a minute, then go out of it and go potty in the area in between.

He won't use a dirty litterbox, so I do a spot cleaning after every time he uses it - leaving a small bit of urine litter and a few droppings in it. This was fine for him the first week. When he uses the in between area for droppings, I pick them up and put them in his box (unless there is a lot, then I throw most away and just put a few in his box since too many make him not even go in the box at all). I put a towel down between the two as well, to protect the carpet from his urine and I wash it daily.

Is there anything I can do to make the in between area not appealing as a bathroom?

He doesn't go anywhere else now that I have blocked off the boyfriend's chair. He's a good bunny about staying in one area. He'll even come all the way across the house to use the one spot. I just wish he'd start going IN the box again!

His neuter is later this month, after bill week and after I talk my boyfriend out of the sympathy pain of having that part cut off of a male. :p

It sounds like hormonal marking issue. Not much you can do other than keep cleaning it up, and try not to leave any area that are absorbent (bunnies are much more likely to pee in absorbant areas). If he's out on carpet, try putting something other than a towel down - like a vinyl tablecloth - so that he'll be discouraged from going there.

And definitely get him neutered! That will help the most.

Back