Purina Feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
So, I've been using Purina feed for years and love it- will never switch to another brand BUT this got my goat.

We've been using the Fibre 3 since it came out and they were doing pretty well on it. Then I had problems with my does breeding, keeping litters, having healthy litters and so on so I put them all back on the Rabbit Complete and they were all doing fine.

Now this winter there is no other word for POd for what happened. My show stock started losing condition. I couldn't keep them smooth- I could feel backbones! I gave hay cubes and my "special" mix but STILL- rough.

Now, at PaSRBA the rep told me the recipe had changed- WHY had my dealer never told me this?????!!!! Never even mentioned it!! GRRRRR

Now, after a huge set-back I've switched to the Pro and have seen IMMENSE differences- I love this stuff. But the problem is, I switched last week and I've got 4 shows next weekened for which everybody will be blowing cut becuase of the jump in protein.. GRRRRRR.

Ok, I'm done venting

what a nightmare :( I got new feed last week too and it looks like they have changed something in it not the whole mix but you still wonder why no one tells you !!

alot of people around me don't think it's that big a deal that they've changed *Well it's just rabbit food* is what someone said to me when I was searching for a specific brand. I didn't get into on him, but boy was i ticked. I've finally broken down and started a suppliment on my guys to hopefully counter balance the not-so-great feed that I had to switch to. Is there a way to see a picture of that Purina Pro? My guys haven't liked the small skinny pellets they like the bigger pellets(like nutrena naturewise)so i'm tyring to find something that will help them look better. Iv'e added Calf Manna at a local breeder's suggestion and it appears to be a loved idea(for them) and it seems to be working.

Pet food companies are constantly changing their contents without telling the consumers. :X I had a cat with allergies to fish and one of them just changed to add fish in the brand, no warning at all! My cat was sick for months.

I'd seriously write to the company to complain.

sas :(

This change in formula was made public. I heard through other breeders, but it was also on Purina's website for awhile, I believe.

I don't remember exactly what the change in formula was; I *think* it was to up the fiber content. I have not seen a change in condition really other than everyone's molting at the moment. But I think that's just the seasonal molts. Overall, I'm happy with Purina and my rabbits do well on it.

I'm currently feeding a 50/50 green bag and blue bag mix with supplemental rolled oats.

Pipp wrote:
Pet food companies are constantly changing their contents without telling the consumers. :X I had a cat with allergies to fish and one of them just changed to add fish in the brand, no warning at all! My cat was sick for months.

I'd seriously write to the company to complain.

sas :(
We had similar things happen with our cat. He's severely allergic to fish and his little ears swell up and he cries when he digs at them. I thought he was on a fish free feed...... well he was for a while! :(

I still feed Oxbow for my bunnies... I don't know if they change much with that.

Dog and cat food (so probably other pet foods too) can change their formula without any mention of it and don't even have to change their packaging to reflect the change for 6 months. Most higher quality brands/companies that actually care usually send mention of the changes to their suppliers so that they can in turn, let the customers know. I wouldn't be surprised if Purina didn't even let their suppliers know but in case they did and it was the store's fault, you should complain to them as well as Purina. They need to realize that it isn't right.

pocketsizedrhino wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Purina didn't even let their suppliers know but in case they did and it was the store's fault, you should complain to them as well as Purina. They need to realize that it isn't right.
As I said above, Purina was VERY public with their change in formula. You can see some mention of it here on their website's blog:

https://www.rabbitnutrition.com/RABBITBLOG/default.aspx

It happened awhile ago, so most of the brand new news stuff is gone now. But I think I noticed a link to a video about it, and ALL the nutritional facts are available on the website and on each bag. All the information is present.

But since I (like many others) don't follow the website, our suppliers were told and did let us know. The information was out there and the new line of feed debuted at this year's national ARBA Convention. So Purina wasn't hiding anything.:)

Aahhh, sorry Julie I only skimmed the replies. I looked around on their website but didn't see any announcements about it.
Good job on Purina's side but it would be nice if the suppliers were more careful in letting their customer's know. Some will only put a sign up for you to find and read yourself.
The all natural dog/cat food store I work at informs the employees and we will let customers know when they purchase the particular food.

Yeah, not much of the official announcement is clear on the website at this point. I think the new formula went into effect at the last ARBA National Convention, which would have been last November, I believe it was.

I agree that it would be nice to really make sure that all customers were aware, but it's difficult to do much other than what they did. Overall, I don't think the food changed very much from what it was, so I hope it does well for most people!

Latest posts

Back