Purina Changed Ingredients - HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlee

Reaction score
I finally figured out why my rabbit had severe constipation. I was feeding him Purina Show Feed because it contained vegetable oil and papaya (my rabbit has long hair). The company has completely changed the ingredients.

I need suggestions asap on what feed to buy.I have to avoid digestive problems.

Any help would be so appreciated!!

It is a myth that papaya does anything to help with digestion. I am not sure about the vegetable oil, but I doubt it really helps either. Most of the stuff in food that is marketed to help with digestion or joints is not in large enough amounts in the food to make a difference.
My angoras do not get anything extra to help, but they do get lots of hay. Neither has issues with wool in the poop. In fact, my normal furred rabbit gets more fur in his poop when he is shedding than the other rabbits.

I can't help with what brand to use as what is avaliable for you is not avaliable for me. Try to find a pellet that has about 16% protein and about 18% fibre. Also check the ingredients to make sure they are suitable for what you are looking for.

I too am not a fan of vegetable oil added to the pellets. Same goes for papaya. The enzymes in papaya that can help break down hair probably do not survive through the stomach to the intestines where they're needed.

I feed Oxbow Bunny Basics T. Purina also makes a good high fiber pellet called Fibre3. Other high-fiber pellets are available from Sweet Meadow Farms and American Pet Diner (online).

I would actually look for a pellet with more fiber than 18%--20% or more is better. The higher, the better. Since you have a wooly breed, you do need some more protein, especially during molts, so 16% protein might be good. Unfortunately most of the high=fiber pellets aren't higher in protein. You might want to use a high fiber pellet all the time and add extra protein during molts.

There may be something going on here other than just what's in the pellet. What are you feeding other than pellets? How's the rabbit's water intake?

I would think high fiber and good quality oil, not your random vegetable oil but something named, added separately to the diet would be a lot more helpful. If oil is helpful at all that is.

Anyone know a brand that has veg. oil and papaya? I've tried others and my rabbit has to have it.

Jude ALWAYS eats lots of of hay, water - with his long coat he has to have the veg. oil and papaya. It works for him.

Again why don't you just buy those items separately? Papaya freezes. We buy giants ones, chop them in cubes, and freeze them for the sugar gliders. You can also get plain dried papaya from a variety of sources including tablets made just for small animals or unsweetened pieces at many grocery stores. A named oil bought from the store is going to be far healthier than a crappy vegetable oil mixed in to a pellet. You can also feed a custom amount of both of those instead of the tiny bit in pellets.

I can get the papaya but the oil gets all over his fur.

Thanks for your information Claire.

tonyshuman wrote:
I would actually look for a pellet with more fiber than 18%--20% or more is better. The higher, the better. Since you have a wooly breed, you do need some more protein, especially during molts, so 16% protein might be good. Unfortunately most of the high=fiber pellets aren't higher in protein. You might want to use a high fiber pellet all the time and add extra protein during molts.
Very few quality pellet brands come with such high fiber (IMO), which is the reason people supplement them with unlimited grass hay.

Carlee,

I have woolies and would suggest a pellet around 16-17% protein, some people even use 18% to keep them in good coat condition. Don't worry as much about fiber, that can be supplemented.

I usually limit pellets to about 1/2 cup and offer lots of grass/timothy hay. This and fresh water should be available at all times.

Fresh papaya or pumpkin is what I've heard of to help digestion too, and some people give it to woolies once weekly or every couple of days to help.

Other than that, I highly suggest grooming your rabbit when he is in molt. Woolies will have stringy droppings (hay in between them) most times of the year it seems. Which is *good*, you want to see that moving through. But grooming them does help cut down on the amount of hair ingested.

Thanks Claire,

Jude is still eating the old feed so he is fine at the moment. I tried him again on the New Purina Show Feed and he won't touch it.

This morning I tried pumpkin to see if he liked it - he HATES it! So pumpkin is out. I'm going to stop this morning and pick up freshpapaya or try papaya pills and see if he likes those.

Thanks again for your information - I truly appreciate it!!

Blessings, Carlee

vegetable oil is good because it helps all the digested food to slide through their systems, whenever my cat or dog have a fur ball or anything we put some on their food and it helps wonders :)

Carlee wrote:
I tried him again on the New Purina Show Feed and he won't touch it.
Just make sure that, as with any feed change, you do it gradually. He may not dive into it right away, so mix 50/50 until he gets used to it and gradually add more of the new food.

Just as a side note, I feed Purina Show too and have not noticed an ingredient change- what changed? They changed the ingredients awhile ago (like beginning of the year or so), but I have not heard of anything since.

Also, make sure your bag is dated June or later- do not feed any feed that is more than 3 months old, whether it was stored well or not. If it's old feed, that might be why he's not touching it.

Vegetable oil does not help rabbits like it does for dogs and cats. It should be avoided if possible as an ingredient in the food. The best way to keep things moving through a bunny's digestive tract is to keep them hydrated and with plenty of fiber. Oil will not help.

"E. Petroleum-based laxatives: use with caution.

Laxative-grade mineral oil or commercial products such as Laxatone or Petromalt do not affect intestinal motility. Some veterinarians prescribe them in the hope that they might help to slide dry, impacted matter through the intestine more easily.

Note, however, that if the intestinal contents are severely dehydrated and brick-hard (yes, we have seen this!), a coating of vaseline-like substance over them will merely impede their re-hydration and make it more difficult for the mass to break up and begin passing normally. For this reason, it is probably wise to concentrate on re-hydrating the intestinal contents before using petroleum-based laxatives, if they are to be used at all.

Note also that whereas malt-flavored remedies in a tube are often preferred by the bunny, some vets believe that their higher viscosity may actually contribute to holding a mass of impacted food together, especially if the intestinal contents are dehydrated. Unscented, laxative grade mineral oil is less viscous, and may be more effective. Always administer such substances with care so that the bunny does not aspirate (inhale) any. Petroleum-based laxatives should not be given daily or long term, as they can impede the absorption of important, fat-soluble vitamins."

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Very important information Claire. My vet prescribed Laxatone- Jude hated it!! I do think it worked just enough to loosen his the blockage (barely) but I'll never use it again.

I'm going to try this - http://www.mannapro.com/ss_home.htm

The Select Series Sho formula ingredients sound similiar to Purina.

Latest posts

Back