Purchasing large amounts of timothy hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeppyTheHare

Reaction score
I was looking into cheaper options for buying hay now that I have a prospective second bun coming in and noticed that buying buy the bale from a farmstand around here is a lot cheaper.

What I'm wondering is, how long will it keep? and how I need to store it to make sure it doesn't go bad if I'm buying large amounts

Hay should keep for a long while. It is usually not baled after September (sometimes earlier depending on conditions) and that hay has to last until the next spring or summer when more can be cut and bailed. If kept well, it can last a couple years.

Hay needs to breath, so don't store it in a closed container. A large plastic bin without the top will work. If you use bags, poke some holes it in it. Don't get it wet (and don't buy stuff that is wet). When you buy it, look for mold, dampness and other bad stuff. It should be green (not brown or straw coloured) and smell good. Try to open it a bit in the middle to see what that looks like.

If you buy more than one bale at a time, only open one and leave the others until you are ready. Store them off the floor (a few pieces of wood work to get it off the floor) and away from walls that may leak. If you cover them, don't cover it too tight.

Yup, hay can last several years if kept dry and out of the sun.

I bought a large Rubbermaid container with a hinged lid. It's keeps the hay well dry, without sealing it too tight. I also keep a tarp over top to keep the sun off the bin (it's outside).

I bought a bale of hay last January (paid $10). I think we're about halfway through it now. :p

Hope that helps!

Rue

i keep my bales on a wood pallet on my semi closed in back patio. to keep it confined i use one of those plastic Xpens ,i shape it like the bale and it holds it in real nice but lets it breath..i dont break apart the bale ,i just use a leaf at a time.the rest stays nice and fresh for me...i really like buying a bale cuz i offer hay to my buns a couple times throughout the day.they eat more hay when i offer it to them all the time..and i dont worry about wasting any of it cuz its so cheap...i used to buy american pet diner by the 35lb box for 30 bucks..it was phenomenal hay but i had to be frugal with it.

I keep my bales in my rabbit barn storage side. They are up off the floor, and can't get wet either. When I need more hay in the rabbitry, I fill up a large tub with several flakes, and this lasts maybe 1 to 2 weeks until it needs to be refilled.

I personally would not ever feed year+ old hay. It would begin to lose it's quality after so many years just sitting. ;) Only get enough hay that you will use up in about a 6 month period. 2 60lb bales of hay last me about 3 1/2 to 4 months, and I pay $5 a bale.

Emily

Well, when you only have one rabbit, one bale will last and last and last. :p

But I'm not too worried about the quality. The remaining half bale is still tightly compressed and each flake I've broken off has been green and fresh smelling. So long as it hasn't mildewed or been left in the sun, there's no reason it shouldn't remain fresh for several years. Or so I've been told by several horse people. ;)

Rue

Latest posts

Back